Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Getting Access data to work in Excel formulas

Data (numbers in this case) imported from an Access database are not
recognized in the Excel worksheet I have them directed to. I have set up a
basic summation formula to add the numbers that are imported from Access...
only after I retouch or re-key the imported numbers will they be recognized
in Excel. The cell format in Excel has been confirmed as a number format. The
numbers are importing left justified in the Excel cell from Access and are
not recognized. After you re-key the number in the Excel cell, they
automatically display as right justified and then is recognized and the
formula will work... any of this make sense? any ideas on how I should
reconfigure the Access database prior to importing to Excel or how to set up
Excel to recognize the imported data differently? Thanks in advance !!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I found out the solution.... thanks to those of you who took the time to
review this... what I found was that the fields in the Access database were
in text format, (even though they were numbers, the field format was set as
'text' instead of numbers) rather than number format... so when I changed
this designation, the numbers did in fact import correctly into Excel (right
justified) and works perfectly in the Excel spreadsheet. Whoo hooo.

"Phil" wrote:

Data (numbers in this case) imported from an Access database are not
recognized in the Excel worksheet I have them directed to. I have set up a
basic summation formula to add the numbers that are imported from Access...
only after I retouch or re-key the imported numbers will they be recognized
in Excel. The cell format in Excel has been confirmed as a number format. The
numbers are importing left justified in the Excel cell from Access and are
not recognized. After you re-key the number in the Excel cell, they
automatically display as right justified and then is recognized and the
formula will work... any of this make sense? any ideas on how I should
reconfigure the Access database prior to importing to Excel or how to set up
Excel to recognize the imported data differently? Thanks in advance !!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

"Phil" wrote:

Data (numbers in this case) imported from an Access database are not
recognized in the Excel worksheet I have them directed to. I have set up a
basic summation formula to add the numbers that are imported from Access...
only after I retouch or re-key the imported numbers will they be recognized
in Excel. The cell format in Excel has been confirmed as a number format. The
numbers are importing left justified in the Excel cell from Access and are
not recognized. After you re-key the number in the Excel cell, they
automatically display as right justified and then is recognized and the
formula will work... any of this make sense? any ideas on how I should
reconfigure the Access database prior to importing to Excel or how to set up
Excel to recognize the imported data differently? Thanks in advance !!

If you call your field 'varChar' then you could also store alphas in
here for what ever reason you ever wanted to. When you import into
excel, use the VALUE() command and this will turn your stored numbers
into values, right justified and cell formattable.