Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Excel Addin: preprocessing the data on opening excel files in EXCE

while opening any excel files (.xls files) in MS EXCEL.EXE, I need to do
some data existence check in that xls file. How do I do this. Can anybody
shares the brief details.
i.e. The user can open any xls file in EXCEL.EXE and my addin/application
should work in back ground and look for the existence of particular type of
data (specific data pattern) then update some [m,n] cell on the xls file with
YES/ NO values etc.,

I tried developing COM Addin using C# but could not get the corresponding
event for opening the exisitng workbook.

Any help would be great and appreciated.

I am using OFFICE 2003 and Visual Studio .Net 2003 on FrameWork v1.1

thanks,
-Ram.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Roedd <<Rp007 wedi ysgrifennu:

while opening any excel files (.xls files) in MS EXCEL.EXE, I need to
do some data existence check in that xls file. How do I do this.
Can anybody shares the brief details.
i.e. The user can open any xls file in EXCEL.EXE and my
addin/application should work in back ground and look for the
existence of particular type of data (specific data pattern) then
update some [m,n] cell on the xls file with YES/ NO values etc.,

I tried developing COM Addin using C# but could not get the
corresponding event for opening the exisitng workbook.

Any help would be great and appreciated.

I am using OFFICE 2003 and Visual Studio .Net 2003 on FrameWork v1.1

You need to hook the Excel.Application's WorkbookOpen event which passes the
newly-opened workbook as its argument.

Rob

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Excel Addin: preprocessing the data on opening excel files in

Rob,

I tried by Excel COM addin which implements IDTExtensibility2 interface.
This has evnts for OnConnection, OnDisconnection, OnBeginShutDown,
OnCompletStartup, and OnUpdateAddIn events which refers the host application
(EXCEL.exe) life cycle. Afterwards I could not get hold of how to raise this
Excel.Application's WorkbookOpen event.

Is it possible for you to help with code snippet for this.

thanks in advance,
-Ram.

"Robert Bruce" wrote:

Roedd <<Rp007 wedi ysgrifennu:

while opening any excel files (.xls files) in MS EXCEL.EXE, I need to
do some data existence check in that xls file. How do I do this.
Can anybody shares the brief details.
i.e. The user can open any xls file in EXCEL.EXE and my
addin/application should work in back ground and look for the
existence of particular type of data (specific data pattern) then
update some [m,n] cell on the xls file with YES/ NO values etc.,

I tried developing COM Addin using C# but could not get the
corresponding event for opening the exisitng workbook.

Any help would be great and appreciated.

I am using OFFICE 2003 and Visual Studio .Net 2003 on FrameWork v1.1

You need to hook the Excel.Application's WorkbookOpen event which passes the
newly-opened workbook as its argument.

Rob

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Roedd <<Rp007 wedi ysgrifennu:

Rob,

I tried by Excel COM addin which implements IDTExtensibility2
interface. This has evnts for OnConnection, OnDisconnection,
OnBeginShutDown, OnCompletStartup, and OnUpdateAddIn events which
refers the host application (EXCEL.exe) life cycle. Afterwards I
could not get hold of how to raise this Excel.Application's
WorkbookOpen event.

Is it possible for you to help with code snippet for this.

Your OnConnection event passes as its first argument Application As Object.
This is the instance of Excel that you're running inside. Cast this into a
variable of type excel.application and then you can hook the application's
events either by declaring the variable WithEvents (you can do that in C#,
right?) or by using delegates (if you must insist on doing things the curly
bracketted way ;-)

Rob