Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Stop the Drag Downs!

Hi,

I've been fustratingly looking for NON-DRAG down methods of adding
totals from the leftward column into a right column and HAVE the
inserted lines CORRECT the running accumulative total without the silly
pull down / drag down process over and over again including what
results in BROKEN order when I cut and paste.

Columns
A B
1.23 1.23
1.11 2.34
0.11 2.45
etc.

column B is the drag down.
One idea was a cell reference =$B$(-1)+$A$(-1)
where $(-1) is a FORCED reference to the cell above AND somehow cause
Excel (XP version 2001) to COPY automaticall on insert the formula from
above which is randomly does in some of my spreadsheets on <insert
(right click insert).

*sigh* Am I nuts? I haven't had advanced Excel but I have a TON of
programming skills and can sometimes do VBA macros for something,
probably one for "insert, copy above and adjust cell references".

I think this is based on an old Manual Accounting principle (cash on
hand or something).
I'm not doing subtotals except in other places in the spreadsheet (my
personal budget).

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

In B1:
=A1
In B2:
=B1+A2

You can copy or drag B2 down and it will adjust itself automatically.

Or did I misunderstand your question?

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten
Microsoft MVP - Excel

"RamblerRandy" wrote in message oups.com...
| Hi,
|
| I've been fustratingly looking for NON-DRAG down methods of adding
| totals from the leftward column into a right column and HAVE the
| inserted lines CORRECT the running accumulative total without the silly
| pull down / drag down process over and over again including what
| results in BROKEN order when I cut and paste.
|
| Columns
| A B
| 1.23 1.23
| 1.11 2.34
| 0.11 2.45
| etc.
|
| column B is the drag down.
| One idea was a cell reference =$B$(-1)+$A$(-1)
| where $(-1) is a FORCED reference to the cell above AND somehow cause
| Excel (XP version 2001) to COPY automaticall on insert the formula from
| above which is randomly does in some of my spreadsheets on <insert
| (right click insert).
|
| *sigh* Am I nuts? I haven't had advanced Excel but I have a TON of
| programming skills and can sometimes do VBA macros for something,
| probably one for "insert, copy above and adjust cell references".
|
| I think this is based on an old Manual Accounting principle (cash on
| hand or something).
| I'm not doing subtotals except in other places in the spreadsheet (my
| personal budget).

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

hi,
You need to be a little more specific but if you want to stop excell's
ability to do drag and drop, go to toolsoptionsedit tab. uncheck 'allow
cell drop and drag'.

hope this helps.
regards
FSt1

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

What I need is an alternative (if any) to the need to re-drag the B
column over and over each time I insert or delete a line causing
reference errors.

The B column on it's own needs to be automatically filled with a
corrected copy somehow of the calculation so the B column remains
correct at all times.

The manual drag down is annoying.

Thanks but I don't need to lock it out but replace the process if
possible.

Randy G