Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default TEXT (searching for a character)

Within cells, I have TEXT strings, such as:

1 abcde
2 fhjuy
3 RTgfT67%ty
4 mnl;;;opo
5 ,,, fhg'

QUESTION: 1) How can I search for the, e.g. 4th character within each cell;

and,...2) how can I search for the 3rd, 4th, and 5th characters?

Answer 1) d, u, f, ;, " "

2) cde, juy, gfT, l;;, ," "" "

Pls. advise.

thank you,

flkulchar
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi,
you can use the following function
=MID(a7,4,1)

regards,
julian

F. Lawrence Kulchar wrote:
Within cells, I have TEXT strings, such as:

1 abcde
2 fhjuy
3 RTgfT67%ty
4 mnl;;;opo
5 ,,, fhg'

QUESTION: 1) How can I search for the, e.g. 4th character within each cell;

and,...2) how can I search for the 3rd, 4th, and 5th characters?

Answer 1) d, u, f, ;, " "

2) cde, juy, gfT, l;;, ," "" "

Pls. advise.

thank you,

flkulchar

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Mid()

Tim

"F. Lawrence Kulchar" wrote in
message ...
Within cells, I have TEXT strings, such as:

1 abcde
2 fhjuy
3 RTgfT67%ty
4 mnl;;;opo
5 ,,, fhg'

QUESTION: 1) How can I search for the, e.g. 4th character within each
cell;

and,...2) how can I search for the 3rd, 4th, and 5th characters?

Answer 1) d, u, f, ;, " "

2) cde, juy, gfT, l;;, ," "" "

Pls. advise.

thank you,

flkulchar

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thank you...

all works fine,

FLKulchar
"Tim Williams" <timjwilliams at gmail dot com wrote in message
Mid()

Tim

"F. Lawrence Kulchar" wrote
in message ...