Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default tightening up VBA

I have been able to go from this:
Columns("F:F").Select
Selection.Cut
Columns("A:A").Select
Selection.Insert shift:=xlToRight

to this:
Columns("F:F").Cut
Columns("A:A").Insert shift:=xlToRigh

But when I try to go to this:
Columns("F:F").Cut Destination:=Range("A:A").Insert.shift:=xlToRight

I get an error, any suggestions?

I am also trying to get this to tighten up:
Columns("F:F").Select
Selection.Style = "Comma"
Selection.NumberFormat = "_(* #,##0.0_);_(* (#,##0.0);_(* ""-""??_);_(@_)"

I tried this but the second line dosn't work:
Columns("F:F").Style = "Comma"
Selection.NumberFormat = "_(* #,##0.0_);_(* (#,##0.0);_(* ""-""??_);_(@_)"

thanks for any help.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Columns("F:F").Cut Destination:=Range("A:A")

With Columns("F:F")
.Style = "Comma"
.NumberFormat = _
"_(* #,##0.0_);_(* (#,##0.0);_(* ""-""??_);_(@_)"
End With

Tom Ogilvy

"Arnold Klapheck" wrote:

I have been able to go from this:
Columns("F:F").Select
Selection.Cut
Columns("A:A").Select
Selection.Insert shift:=xlToRight

to this:
Columns("F:F").Cut
Columns("A:A").Insert shift:=xlToRigh

But when I try to go to this:
Columns("F:F").Cut Destination:=Range("A:A").Insert.shift:=xlToRight

I get an error, any suggestions?

I am also trying to get this to tighten up:
Columns("F:F").Select
Selection.Style = "Comma"
Selection.NumberFormat = "_(* #,##0.0_);_(* (#,##0.0);_(* ""-""??_);_(@_)"

I tried this but the second line dosn't work:
Columns("F:F").Style = "Comma"
Selection.NumberFormat = "_(* #,##0.0_);_(* (#,##0.0);_(* ""-""??_);_(@_)"

thanks for any help.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Columns("F:F").Cut Destination:=Range("A:A")
This pastes over the info in the column, I need to shift everything over to
the right.
also I can't select 2 columns to cut and past without selecting two columns
to paste to when I just want to paste the columns into a different spot.

Perhaps their is a totally different way to do this, I am attempting to
rearrange columns in a worksheet and sometimes delete entire columns.

thanks for your help so far, any other ideas?

on the second question it seems I am replacing three lines of code with four
lines of code, will the new way make it run faster?

With Columns("F:F")
.Style = "Comma"
.NumberFormat = _
"_(* #,##0.0_);_(* (#,##0.0);_(* ""-""??_);_(@_)"
End With

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Don gave you the correct interpretation:

Columns("F").Cut
Columns("A").Insert Shift:=xlToRight

You can look at it as 4 lines of code, but it is actually two commands
because you are performing two actions. The other lines are qualifiers to
avoid selecting. It is faster because it doesn't select. Lines of code per
se do not necessarily determine the efficiency of the approach.

Tom Ogilvy

"Arnold Klapheck" wrote:

Columns("F:F").Cut Destination:=Range("A:A")

This pastes over the info in the column, I need to shift everything over to
the right.
also I can't select 2 columns to cut and past without selecting two columns
to paste to when I just want to paste the columns into a different spot.

Perhaps their is a totally different way to do this, I am attempting to
rearrange columns in a worksheet and sometimes delete entire columns.

thanks for your help so far, any other ideas?

on the second question it seems I am replacing three lines of code with four
lines of code, will the new way make it run faster?

With Columns("F:F")
.Style = "Comma"
.NumberFormat = _
End With