Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default User input to calculate specific column

I have two worksheets that both have 65k rows and when I do a formula it
takes forever because it recalculates all columns with formula's -- this take
about ten minutes on my laptop. Is there a snippet of code that I can put in
a macro that will ask me sheet name and column to calculate so it will only
do that specific column?

Jason
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

From VBA help:.

Calculate Method
See AlsoApplies ToExampleSpecificsCalculates all open workbooks, a
specific worksheet in a workbook, or a specified range of cells on a
worksheet, as shown in the following table.

To calculate Follow this example
All open workbooks Application.Calculate (or just Calculate)
A specific worksheet Worksheets(1).Calculate
A specified range Worksheets(1).Rows(2).Calculate

expression.Calculate
expression Optional for Application, required for Worksheet and
Range. An expression that returns an object in the Applies To list.

Example
This example calculates the formulas in columns A, B, and C in the used
range on Sheet1.

Worksheets("Sheet1").UsedRange.Columns("A:C").Calc ulate

Rookie_User wrote:
I have two worksheets that both have 65k rows and when I do a formula it
takes forever because it recalculates all columns with formula's -- this take
about ten minutes on my laptop. Is there a snippet of code that I can put in
a macro that will ask me sheet name and column to calculate so it will only
do that specific column?

Jason

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I'm not sure how the whole "Calculate" process works but give this a
shot:
Sub CalcTest()
Dim CalcMode As String
Dim r As Range
CalcMode = Application.Calculation
Set r = Application.InputBox("Please Select Column to Calculate",
"Calculating...", Type:=8)
If Not r Is Nothing Then
Set r = r.EntireColumn
r.Calculate
End If
Application.Calculation = CalcMode
End Sub

HTH

Charles Chickering
Rookie_User wrote:
I have two worksheets that both have 65k rows and when I do a formula it
takes forever because it recalculates all columns with formula's -- this take
about ten minutes on my laptop. Is there a snippet of code that I can put in
a macro that will ask me sheet name and column to calculate so it will only
do that specific column?

Jason

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Jason,

To follow up on the calclulate method, set your workbook to manual
recalc and place this in the worksheet module in question. Change the
range to your column(s)

If Not Application.Intersect(Target, Range("A:A")) Is Nothing Then
ActiveCell.Calculate

Rookie_User wrote:
I have two worksheets that both have 65k rows and when I do a formula it
takes forever because it recalculates all columns with formula's -- this take
about ten minutes on my laptop. Is there a snippet of code that I can put in
a macro that will ask me sheet name and column to calculate so it will only
do that specific column?

Jason

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I will try the above, this is what I have so far. I do have the recalc all
set to manual.

Sub Col_Calc()
Dim coltocal As String
coltocal = Trim(InputBox(Prompt:="Enter the column to calculate--"))
Worksheets("Part1").UsedRange.Columns(coltocal).Ca lculate
End Sub