Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Merging Files in ListView

On my Userform, I am using the listbox to populate it with files from a
directory. What I am trying to do is open the files and merge them into a
single file. I appreciate any help anyone can give me.
--
Larry E. Brueshaber

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

This site is and will be very helpful in the near future in another segment
of The program I am writing; right now I have a populated listbox with txt
files and I am trying to merge them into another text file. I appreciate all
the help so far.
--
Larry E. Brueshaber

"Larry" wrote in message
On my Userform, I am using the listbox to populate it with files from a
directory. What I am trying to do is open the files and merge them into a
single file. I appreciate any help anyone can give me.
--
Larry E. Brueshaber

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

You mean the listbox has a list of fully qualified filenames for text files
which you want to combine into one large file? Or have you read each file
into the listbox sequentially (so the data from all files is in the listbox)
and you want to write the list back out to a textfile?

Tom Ogilvy

"Larry" wrote in message
On my Userform, I am using the listbox to populate it with files from a
directory. What I am trying to do is open the files and merge them
into a
single file. I appreciate any help anyone can give me.
--
Larry E. Brueshaber

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

the listbox has a list of fully qualified filenames for text files
which I want to combine into one large file.
--
Larry E. Brueshaber

"Larry" wrote in message
On my Userform, I am using the listbox to populate it with files from a
directory. What I am trying to do is open the files and merge them
into a
single file. I appreciate any help anyone can give me.
--
Larry E. Brueshaber

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Assumes the Listbox is from the control toolbox toolbar and is on the
activesheet.

Sub AppendFiles1()

Dim SourceNum As Integer
Dim DestNum As Integer
Dim Temp As String
Dim SrcName as String
Dim lbox as MSForms.Listbox

' If an error occurs, close the files and end the macro.
On Error GoTo ErrHandler

' Open the destination text file.
DestNum = FreeFile()
Open "C:\DEST.TXT" For Append As DestNum

set lbox = ActiveSheet.Listbox1

for i = 0 to lbox.Listcount - 1
SrcName = lbox.List(i)

if Dir(srcName) < "" then
' Open the source text file.
SourceNum = FreeFile()
Open srcName For Input As SourceNum

' Read each line of the source file and append it to the
' destination file.
Do While Not EOF(SourceNum)
Line Input #SourceNum, Temp
Print #DestNum, Temp
Loop

CloseFile:

' Close the source file.
Close #DestNum

End if ' Dir(srcName) < ""
Next i

Close #SourceNum
Exit Sub

ErrHandler:
MsgBox "Error # " & Err & ": " & Error(Err) & " " & srcName
Resume CloseFile

Tom Ogilvy

"Larry" wrote in message
On my Userform, I am using the listbox to populate it with files
from a
directory. What I am trying to do is open the files and merge them
into a
single file. I appreciate any help anyone can give me.
--
Larry E. Brueshaber

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Entering in the Code, when running the module the following error "Object
doesn't support this property or method" appears in line "set lbox =
activesheet.listbox1". Thank you for your continues support.
--
Larry E. Brueshaber

"Larry" wrote in message
On my Userform, I am using the listbox to populate it with files
from a
directory. What I am trying to do is open the files and merge them
into a
single file. I appreciate any help anyone can give me.
--
Larry E. Brueshaber

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Here is an example from the immediate window demonstrating it working
perfectly

set lbox = Activesheet.Listbox1
? lbox.name
ListBox1
? typename(lbox)
ListBox

There was an issue with two variables being reversed - but you haven't
reached that line yet, so no bearing on the above.

Anyway here is a tested revision. It of course assume you a have a listbox
from the control toolbox toolbar on the activesheet when you run the macro
and the listbox has a list of fully qualified text file names.

Sub AppendFiles1()

Dim SourceNum As Long
Dim DestNum As Long
Dim Temp As String
Dim SrcName As String
Dim lbox As MSForms.ListBox
Dim i As Long

' If an error occurs, close the files and end the macro.
On Error GoTo ErrHandler

' Open the destination text file.
DestNum = FreeFile()
Open "E:\AA_Text\AAA_DEST.TXT" For Append As DestNum

Set lbox = ActiveSheet.ListBox1

For i = 0 To lbox.ListCount - 1
SrcName = lbox.List(i)

If Dir(SrcName) < "" Then
' Open the source text file.
SourceNum = FreeFile()
Open SrcName For Input As SourceNum

' Read each line of the source file and append it to the
' destination file.
Do While Not EOF(SourceNum)
Line Input #SourceNum, Temp
Print #DestNum, Temp
Loop

CloseFile:

' Close the source file.
Close #SourceNum

End If ' Dir(srcName) < ""
Next i

Close #DestNum

"Larry" wrote in message
On my Userform, I am using the listbox to populate it with files
from a
directory. What I am trying to do is open the files and merge
them
into a
single file. I appreciate any help anyone can give me.
--
Larry E. Brueshaber

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I understand the problem now. The problem is I am on a Userform instead of an
active worksheet. Sorry about the mis-understanding.
--
Larry E. Brueshaber

"Larry" wrote in message
On my Userform, I am using the listbox to populate it with files
from a
directory. What I am trying to do is open the files and merge
them
into a
single file. I appreciate any help anyone can give me.
--
Larry E. Brueshaber

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Sub AppendFiles1()

Dim SourceNum As Long
Dim DestNum As Long
Dim Temp As String
Dim SrcName As String
Dim lbox As MSForms.ListBox
Dim i As Long

' If an error occurs, close the files and end the macro.
On Error GoTo ErrHandler

' Open the destination text file.
DestNum = FreeFile()
Open "E:\AA_Text\AAA_DEST.TXT" For Append As DestNum

Set lbox = Userform1.ListBox1 '<=== sample correction

"Larry" wrote in message
On my Userform, I am using the listbox to populate it with
files
from a
directory. What I am trying to do is open the files and merge
them
into a
single file. I appreciate any help anyone can give me.
--
Larry E. Brueshaber

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Running the module it is debugging to the line "If Dir(SrcName) < "" Then"
then it exits. and the only thing created is an empty file.
--
Larry E. Brueshaber

"Tom Ogilvy" wrote:

Sub AppendFiles1()

Dim SourceNum As Long
Dim DestNum As Long
Dim Temp As String
Dim SrcName As String
Dim lbox As MSForms.ListBox
Dim i As Long

"Larry" wrote in message
On my Userform, I am using the listbox to populate it with
files
from a
directory. What I am trying to do is open the files and merge
them
into a
single file. I appreciate any help anyone can give me.
--
Larry E. Brueshaber

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Code is tested and runs without a hitch for me. xl2003

even if SrcName were empty, that line won't raise an error:

Demo'd from the immediate window:

? dir("") < ""
True

Now if

SrcName = "some non existent path"

You will get a 52 error or similar. Nothing I can do about it if you have
bad data in your listbox.
Tom Oglvy

"Larry" wrote in message
Running the module it is debugging to the line "If Dir(SrcName) < ""
Then"
then it exits. and the only thing created is an empty file.
--
Larry E. Brueshaber

"Tom Ogilvy" wrote:

Sub AppendFiles1()

Dim SourceNum As Long
Dim DestNum As Long
Dim Temp As String
Dim SrcName As String
Dim lbox As MSForms.ListBox
Dim i As Long

"Larry" wrote in message
On my Userform, I am using the listbox to populate it with
files
from a
directory. What I am trying to do is open the files and
merge
them
into a
single file. I appreciate any help anyone can give me.
--
Larry E. Brueshaber

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

In merging the files, were they delimited. I am trying to figure out if that
is the problem. I am enclosing an example of a file that I am using:

"DI554K",2103,525,0,"€¦.",5,1222,200637,0,999948, 1,0,2
"DI554K",2103,525,0,"€¦.",5,1222,200637,0,999940, 1,0,2
"DI554K",2103,525,0,"€¦.",5,1222,200637,0,999939, 1,0,2
"DI554K",2103,525,0,"€¦.",5,1222,200637,0,870185, 1,0,2
"DI554K",2103,525,0,"€¦.",5,1222,200637,0,999938, 1,0,2
"DI554K",2103,525,0,"€¦.",5,1222,200637,0,832338, 1,0,2
"DI554K",2103,525,0,"€¦.",5,1222,200637,0,1060,1, 0,2
--
Larry E. Brueshaber

"Larry" wrote in message
Running the module it is debugging to the line "If Dir(SrcName) < ""
Then"
then it exits. and the only thing created is an empty file.
--
Larry E. Brueshaber

"Tom Ogilvy" wrote:

Sub AppendFiles1()

Dim SourceNum As Long
Dim DestNum As Long
Dim Temp As String
Dim SrcName As String
Dim lbox As MSForms.ListBox
Dim i As Long

http://www.rondebruin.nl/copy3.htm

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

No. Where you say it errors would indicate the filename is bad. Line
Input reads an entire line. delimiters are meaningless to it.

Tom Ogilvy

"Larry" wrote in message
Running the module it is debugging to the line "If Dir(SrcName) < ""
Then"
then it exits. and the only thing created is an empty file.
--
Larry E. Brueshaber

"Tom Ogilvy" wrote:

Sub AppendFiles1()

Dim SourceNum As Long
Dim DestNum As Long
Dim Temp As String
Dim SrcName As String
Dim lbox As MSForms.ListBox
Dim i As Long

"Tom Ogilvy" wrote:

http://www.rondebruin.nl/copy3.htm

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thank you for all your support, I appreciate it very much. I did a file
check and I can see the problem now, I need to go back and redo the save
routine. I will be glad to go back to Visual Basic; The more I dwell into
Excel (VBA) it seems there pops up 100 things I don't know about it. Again,
thank you for your support.
--
Larry E. Brueshaber

"Larry" wrote in message
Running the module it is debugging to the line "If Dir(SrcName) < ""
Then"
then it exits. and the only thing created is an empty file.
--
Larry E. Brueshaber

"Tom Ogilvy" wrote:

Sub AppendFiles1()