Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
DKS DKS is offline

Default Multipage forms imported in XP

I had an .xls in Excel 95 that used multipage forms. This .xls and the forms
works fine in XP (Excel 2003) if I use it without any changes.

The moment I make even a single change in the form and use it, it still
works fine till the time I save the .xls and close .xls. Once I do this and
re-open the .xls and that is the end of my hardwork. It no longer seems to
work.

Can somebody help explain this behaviour? And ideally help solve this error.

Thanks in anticipation.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Are you sure it worked in xl95?

I thought that userforms (inside the VBE) were added in xl97.

Maybe the workbook was really created in xl97 and you're saving it as an xl95
file format????

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
DKS DKS is offline

It was an NT machine, so I presumed it was 95. It could well have been 97.
Since I have migrated to XP - I do not have the previous machine to verify
the situation.

Nevertheless the symptoms are very frustrating. Not only does the form does
not work at all, it makes my .xls crash.

Any ideas?

best regards

DKS wrote:

I had an .xls in Excel 95 that used multipage forms. This .xls and the forms
works fine in XP (Excel 2003) if I use it without any changes.

The moment I make even a single change in the form and use it, it still
works fine till the time I save the .xls and close .xls. Once I do this and
re-open the .xls and that is the end of my hardwork. It no longer seems to
work.

Can somebody help explain this behaviour? And ideally help solve this error.

Thanks in anticipation.

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Not that I didn't share already.

But the operating system and the version of office don't have to match. (Each
version of office does have a minimum version of windows that must be installed,
though.)

If you get other followups, you may want to make it clear what version of each
you're running.

DKS wrote:

I had an .xls in Excel 95 that used multipage forms. This .xls and the forms
works fine in XP (Excel 2003) if I use it without any changes.

The moment I make even a single change in the form and use it, it still
works fine till the time I save the .xls and close .xls. Once I do this and
re-open the .xls and that is the end of my hardwork. It no longer seems to
work.

Can somebody help explain this behaviour? And ideally help solve this error.

Thanks in anticipation.

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
DKS DKS is offline

I did not understand very well your last question.

I can imagine that different versions have different specialities and thus
is important to know. Nevertheless, here I am stuck with my own workbook
that worked well till the time I moved to XP. In XP also it works very well
but till the time I modify the multipage form. A simple change in the form
or even any VBA code lying behind it, and the entire workbook stops working.

As I was unable to figure out the problem's cause, I tried to redevelop a
simple prototype in xls 2003. MY idea was that by developping a simple
prototype I may hit upon the problem.

Nevertheless I am stuck as I do not find out any more how did i design 3
years ago a multipage form with 5 pages. When i design a new form, it gives
me 2 pages by default and I am struggling to figure out the trick I had done
to generate 5 pages.

DKS wrote:

I had an .xls in Excel 95 that used multipage forms. This .xls and the forms
works fine in XP (Excel 2003) if I use it without any changes.

The moment I make even a single change in the form and use it, it still
works fine till the time I save the .xls and close .xls. Once I do this and
re-open the .xls and that is the end of my hardwork. It no longer seems to
work.

Can somebody help explain this behaviour? And ideally help solve this error.

Thanks in anticipation.

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

My question was:

What version of windows are you using?

What version of office are you using?

When you write that you moved to XP, did that mean that you moved to Windows XP
or Office XP (aka excel 2002)???

=====
If you add a multipage control to a userform, you can rightclick on the tab
(while designing the userform) and choose New Page.

DKS wrote:

I had an .xls in Excel 95 that used multipage forms. This .xls and the forms
works fine in XP (Excel 2003) if I use it without any changes.

The moment I make even a single change in the form and use it, it still
works fine till the time I save the .xls and close .xls. Once I do this and
re-open the .xls and that is the end of my hardwork. It no longer seems to
work.

Can somebody help explain this behaviour? And ideally help solve this error.

Thanks in anticipation.

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
DKS DKS is offline

Operating system = Windows XP
Excel version = Excel 2003

Since I have been trying to play around with the VBA code around my
multipage forms, I get all kind of wierd errors. The most recent VBA error
that I got was
Run-time error '-2147024809 (80070057)' Could not get the picture property.

Some more extra info: I have put in my workbook_open event code to open the
form. But for whatever reason the form is not found.

Very frustrating indeed.

DKS wrote:

I had an .xls in Excel 95 that used multipage forms. This .xls and the forms
works fine in XP (Excel 2003) if I use it without any changes.

The moment I make even a single change in the form and use it, it still
works fine till the time I save the .xls and close .xls. Once I do this and
re-open the .xls and that is the end of my hardwork. It no longer seems to
work.

Can somebody help explain this behaviour? And ideally help solve this error.

Thanks in anticipation.

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
DKS DKS is offline

Thanks for your time & patience. I am trying to do what you are saying but
not reaching there - not yet. If I do have some important lessons learnt
then I will of course post it here, that is the least I can do to say thanks
to you for your patience.

DKS wrote:

I had an .xls in Excel 95 that used multipage forms. This .xls and the forms
works fine in XP (Excel 2003) if I use it without any changes.

The moment I make even a single change in the form and use it, it still
works fine till the time I save the .xls and close .xls. Once I do this and
re-open the .xls and that is the end of my hardwork. It no longer seems to
work.

Can somebody help explain this behaviour? And ideally help solve this error.

Thanks in anticipation.

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
DKS DKS is offline

Dave,

Finally after barking a wrong tree (multipage) I believe I have found the
exact combination of properties that creates this situation. And as promised
I am back to give you more info.

You can also reproduce the error (unless of course it is a known problem).

My multipage userform is activated during WORKBOOK_OPEN event. On this form
if I have a field that has its CONTOLSOURCE property set, then .xls crashes.
I would assume that in this case it does not find the sheet concerned and
thus crashes. Strangely it crashes at the first reference of the userform
thereby making me doubt something about userform. Also very strange, this
spreadsheet worked on my NT with old version of .xls. It also works on XP
with my new version of .xls till the time I modify even one character within
the form or any modules.

Thus, the killer combination is a userform having field with CONTROLSOURCE
property set and this userform being activated via WORKBOOK_OPEN. All 3 true
at the same time and .xls in XP crashes. If I do not use workbook_open event
but activate the userform after the workbook is opened, then all works fine -
just fyi.

If you know how I can fix this problem then it will be quite nice of you.

Do you know whether this is a bug or a known constraint that I was unaware
of? If it is a known constraint then how can I get around it other then
explicitly having to write a AFTER_UPDATE event procedure for the field
concerned?

DKS wrote:

I had an .xls in Excel 95 that used multipage forms. This .xls and the forms
works fine in XP (Excel 2003) if I use it without any changes.

The moment I make even a single change in the form and use it, it still
works fine till the time I save the .xls and close .xls. Once I do this and
re-open the .xls and that is the end of my hardwork. It no longer seems to
work.

Can somebody help explain this behaviour? And ideally help solve this error.

Thanks in anticipation.

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I don't have any insight why this blows up for you.

Maybe you can remove the controlsource and handle things in code or assign the
controlsource in the userform initialize procedure?

DKS wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
DKS DKS is offline

No problem if you do not know the cause. Just for info, I did happen to find
a 2 year old posting on this forum that reports exactly the same problem

The posting was made on Oct 30 2004, 3:05 pm by Peter Bailey - giving
exactly similar circumstances - combination of WORKBOOK_OPEN,
Form_initialization, Controlsource setting, and .xls crashing. In that
posting he mentions that he sets controlsource programatically i.e. within
the form_initialize event. Thus unfortunately your proposal will not work.

Even if your proposition would have worked it would have meant a lot of
unnecessary manual work for me as I have a multipage form and each page has
several fields and behind each field is a CONTROLSOURCE property.

:-(