Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default update then move down

Hi,

I am not sure how to word this or I would search more on Google for the
answers before asking.

In my spreadsheet, in Column A I have dollar amounts that I enter daily. A1
is my starting number. I would like a total in column C that stays (moves
down) 1 row under the last number entered in Column A. In Column C, the cell
would display the difference between the last number entered in Column A and
the first number entered in Column A. I guess while I am asking, I would
like the Column C number to be blue or red in color depending if the last
number in Column A is larger or smaller than the first one.

Thanks,
Jerry

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

If you insert a row to enter you number, the formula in column C should adjust

so in C2 put in =IF(AND(A3="",A2<""),A2-$A$1,"")

then format = Cell = Number tab, choose custom

[Blue]General;[Red]General;General

then select C2 and drag fill down as far as necessary.

Tom Ogilvy

"Jerry" wrote:

Hi,

I am not sure how to word this or I would search more on Google for the
answers before asking.

In my spreadsheet, in Column A I have dollar amounts that I enter daily. A1
is my starting number. I would like a total in column C that stays (moves
down) 1 row under the last number entered in Column A. In Column C, the cell
would display the difference between the last number entered in Column A and
the first number entered in Column A. I guess while I am asking, I would
like the Column C number to be blue or red in color depending if the last
number in Column A is larger or smaller than the first one.

Thanks,
Jerry

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

"Jerry" wrote:

Hi,

I am not sure how to word this or I would search more on Google for the
answers before asking.

In my spreadsheet, in Column A I have dollar amounts that I enter daily.
A1
is my starting number. I would like a total in column C that stays (moves
down) 1 row under the last number entered in Column A. In Column C, the
cell
would display the difference between the last number entered in Column A
and
the first number entered in Column A. I guess while I am asking, I would
like the Column C number to be blue or red in color depending if the last
number in Column A is larger or smaller than the first one.

Thanks,
Jerry

Tom,

Thanks for your help. I did as you said, but the cell in C is just giving me
the last number in A. It is not giving me the difference between the first
number in A and the last number in A.

Also, I would like to say thanks a million for you and others that help
those of us that would never be able to do these things by ourselves.

Jerry

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Not sure what to say Jerry. I put the formula in C2 (copied from the email)
then drag filled down column C. put a number in A1, then A2 and C2 showed
the difference. Number in A3, C3 showed the difference between A3-A1 and
so forth. that was my interpretation of what you wanted and it worked for
me.

Tom Ogilvy

"Jerry" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

"Jerry" wrote:

[...]

After reading your response, I put the formula in a new from scratch
spreadsheet and it works perfectly. Something has to be affecting it in the
old spreadsheet that I already had the numbers in. So, again thanks very
much and I appreciate your response in helping me correct my problem with
the code you gave me.

Jerry