Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Get Add-in Description with VBA

Hi all

I am writing a loop that captures each Add-in on a PC. I can get Name,
Path, Installed, etc, but am wondering how I can capture the
description that you see when you click in Excel: Tools, Add-ins.

Any suggestions appreciated

Paul Martin
Melbourne, Australia

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

In XLA's, it is usually in the BuiltinDocumentProperties("Title")

? Workbooks("ATPVBAEN.xla").BuiltinDocumentPropertie s("Title").Value
Analysis ToolPak - VBA

However, not every addin appears in the workbooks collection, so you might
need to download the DSO DLL and use the FullName to extract it from the
file itself.

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=224351
FILE: DSOFILE.EXE Lets You Read Document Properties w/o Office Installed

It is not something I have had need to do, but if I build an addin, I put
the title there and that is what appears in Tools=Addins.

I suspect there will be exceptions and someone may have an easier way.

Tom Ogilvy

"Paul Martin" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi all

I am writing a loop that captures each Add-in on a PC. I can get Name,
Path, Installed, etc, but am wondering how I can capture the
description that you see when you click in Excel: Tools, Add-ins.

Any suggestions appreciated

Paul Martin
Melbourne, Australia

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

That looks like a good solution Tom, but doesn't quite suit my needs.
My app will be used on many computers and I don't want to deploy a DLL
(or I may not be able to).

Maybe someone else has another solution? I find it strange that VBA
does not make this property readily available.

Paul

Tom Ogilvy wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

turn on hidden properties in the object browser. Look at addins:

? application.AddIns(2).Title
Analysis ToolPak

so use the hidden title property.

Tom Ogilvy wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

When I click Show Hidden Members, Title is not there, though the
command in the Immediate Window does return what I'm after.

Thanks for that, Tom

Paul

Tom Ogilvy wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Paul,

Tom should have directed you to "addin" in the Object Browser. You will see
it under that class.

It's easiest to declare a variable as an addin and then access the property.
See the following example.

Sub addins()
Dim a As addin
For Each a In Application.addins
MsgBox a.title
Next a

Hope this helps!
Pflugs

Tom Ogilvy wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Think that is what you call a typo on my part.

Nonetheless, I believe it is obvious in

application.AddIns(2).Title

Addins(2) is an addin

as to your second comment, see the original post.

Tom Ogilvy