Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default converting formula to text

I have a formula in column B and then column C has another formula
which references column B, so for example.

Column B
VLOOKUP(A4,'sheet2'!$A$1:$B$92,2,FALSE)

Column C
INDEX('N:\INVEST\sheet1'!Prices.B1.ROR,MATCH(B$3,
'N:\INVEST\sheet2.xls'!Prices.Date))/100

If the Vlookup in column B were to give the result XY, I would want the
B1 in 'N:\INVEST\sheet1'!Prices.B1.ROR to actually say XY, as opposed
to saying B1.
I want to stay away from copy-paste special since the v-lookups will
always be giving different results...
Is there any way to do this?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

You can try using Indirect...

INDEX(Indirect("'N:\INVEST\sheet1'!Prices." & B1 & ".ROR"),MATCH(B$3,
'N:\INVEST\sheet2.xls'!Prices.Date))/100

--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

" wrote:

I have a formula in column B and then column C has another formula
which references column B, so for example.

Column B
VLOOKUP(A4,'sheet2'!$A$1:$B$92,2,FALSE)

Column C
INDEX('N:\INVEST\sheet1'!Prices.B1.ROR,MATCH(B$3,
'N:\INVEST\sheet2.xls'!Prices.Date))/100

If the Vlookup in column B were to give the result XY, I would want the
B1 in 'N:\INVEST\sheet1'!Prices.B1.ROR to actually say XY, as opposed
to saying B1.
I want to stay away from copy-paste special since the v-lookups will
always be giving different results...
Is there any way to do this?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

You could try Indirect, but as stated in help, Indirect doesn't work with
references to closed workbooks (the case here), so you would be wasting your
time as they say. <g

Tom Ogilvy

" wrote:

I have a formula in column B and then column C has another formula
which references column B, so for example.

Column B
VLOOKUP(A4,'sheet2'!$A$1:$B$92,2,FALSE)

Column C
INDEX('N:\INVEST\sheet1'!Prices.B1.ROR,MATCH(B$3,
'N:\INVEST\sheet2.xls'!Prices.Date))/100

If the Vlookup in column B were to give the result XY, I would want the
B1 in 'N:\INVEST\sheet1'!Prices.B1.ROR to actually say XY, as opposed
to saying B1.
I want to stay away from copy-paste special since the v-lookups will
always be giving different results...
Is there any way to do this?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

And you learn something new every day. I wondered that (will it work with a
closed workbook) after I posted. You posted before I had the chance to even
look it up...

As always. Thanks Tom...
--
HTH...