Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Excel file Copy Prevention/Restriction

I have an excel file which i've spent blooming ages working on, and no
that i've come to implement this in our works shop i don't want an
employee copying this file from the computer taking in home, messin
around with it and cracking passwords etc etc...

Solutions to this are few and far between. I tried download.com fo
anything but all i could find was software to prevent unauthorise
copying of .exe files.
Searching the forums here it seems the concensus is that you can'
prevent copying of an excel file, just make it a lot harder.

So, i'd like it if anyone had any ideas to post here so i can make i
as difficult as possible for someone to copy an excel file.

Dave Peterson suggested a macro to check the file path and if it wa
incorrect then fail to proceed etc...

http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...vention+ file

I've seen solutions for having a blank page startup unless wit
worksheets very hidden unless a password is entered correctly.

These make it difficult to use an excel file once it has been take
away, but doesn't make it difficult to copy in the first place.

For my own suggestion i'd say have a file that is just once opened
requests a password and then opens the correct file from a hidde
location (i'm sure i've seen this suggested before). This makes it
little harder to copy. But, I'd like to take this one step further.
Is it possible to prevent the search facilty in windows? Because th
problem with the method above is that someone only needs to searc
hidden folders/files to find the file.

I'm all out of suggestions. Anyone else??

--
chris10
chris100's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=2516