Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Jean-Yves[_2_] Jean-Yves[_2_] is offline

Default Excel file Copy Prevention/Restriction

HI again,
Your suggestion :
For my own suggestion i'd say have a file that is just once opened,
requests a password and then opens the correct file from a hidden
location (i'm sure i've seen this suggested before). This makes it a

Remove the .xls extention from your hidden location or even rename it before
opening it. (just to try confusing people)
Regards
JY

"chris100" wrote in
message ...

I have an excel file which i've spent blooming ages working on, and now
that i've come to implement this in our works shop i don't want any
employee copying this file from the computer taking in home, messing
around with it and cracking passwords etc etc...

Solutions to this are few and far between. I tried download.com for
anything but all i could find was software to prevent unauthorised
copying of .exe files.
Searching the forums here it seems the concensus is that you can't
prevent copying of an excel file, just make it a lot harder.

So, i'd like it if anyone had any ideas to post here so i can make it
as difficult as possible for someone to copy an excel file.

Dave Peterson suggested a macro to check the file path and if it was
incorrect then fail to proceed etc...

http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...vention+ file

I've seen solutions for having a blank page startup unless with
worksheets very hidden unless a password is entered correctly.

These make it difficult to use an excel file once it has been taken
away, but doesn't make it difficult to copy in the first place.

For my own suggestion i'd say have a file that is just once opened,
requests a password and then opens the correct file from a hidden
location (i'm sure i've seen this suggested before). This makes it a
little harder to copy. But, I'd like to take this one step further.
Is it possible to prevent the search facilty in windows? Because the
problem with the method above is that someone only needs to search
hidden folders/files to find the file.

I'm all out of suggestions. Anyone else???

--
chris100
chris100's Profile: