Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default print pdf's with changing filenames in a macro

I have created a macro to isolate certain data based on a variable
loop. I would like to print the data to a pdf file. I was able to get
it to print but it always uses the same filename; "Group" The
following code in a k loop works to make fn$ the filename I desire; I
checked it by sending the fn$ to sequential cells of a sheet.

How can I get the pdf filename to change within the loop?
Thanks for any help.
Charlie

s$ = Str(k)
If k < 10 Then s$ = "0" & Right(s$, 1) Else s$ = Right(s$, 2)
fn$ = "Group" & s$ & ".pdf"

filename:=fn$
ActiveWindow.SelectedSheets.PrintOut Copies:=1

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

have you tried:

ActiveWindow.SelectedSheets.PrintOut Copies:=1, PrintToFile:=True,
PrToFileName:=fn$

Tom Ogilvy

" wrote:

I have created a macro to isolate certain data based on a variable
loop. I would like to print the data to a pdf file. I was able to get
it to print but it always uses the same filename; "Group" The
following code in a k loop works to make fn$ the filename I desire; I
checked it by sending the fn$ to sequential cells of a sheet.

How can I get the pdf filename to change within the loop?
Thanks for any help.
Charlie

s$ = Str(k)
If k < 10 Then s$ = "0" & Right(s$, 1) Else s$ = Right(s$, 2)
fn$ = "Group" & s$ & ".pdf"

filename:=fn$
ActiveWindow.SelectedSheets.PrintOut Copies:=1

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Your using xl97 or earlier? Because that argument is supported in xl2000
and later.

From xl2000 help on Printout
expression.PrintOut(From, To, Copies, Preview, ActivePrinter, PrintToFile,
Collate, PrToFileName)

Tom Ogilvy

oups.com...

" wrote:

I have created a macro to isolate certain data based on a variable
loop. I would like to print the data to a pdf file. I was able to get
it to print but it always uses the same filename; "Group" The
following code in a k loop works to make fn$ the filename I desire; I
checked it by sending the fn$ to sequential cells of a sheet.

How can I get the pdf filename to change within the loop?
Thanks for any help.
Charlie

s$ = Str(k)
If k < 10 Then s$ = "0" & Right(s$, 1) Else s$ = Right(s$, 2)
fn$ = "Group" & s$ & ".pdf"

filename:=fn$
ActiveWindow.SelectedSheets.PrintOut Copies:=1

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Very close. I looked up "printout" in the help file. It says:

PrintToFile Optional Variant. True to print to a file. Microsoft
Excel prompts the user to enter the name of the output file. There's
no way to specify the filename from Visual Basic. This option is not
available on the Macintosh.

I have a Mac with Office v.X

I never figured it made a difference or I'd have mentioned it before.
Any way to work around it?
Thanks a lot for all of your help.
Charlie

Tom Ogilvy wrote:
Your using xl97 or earlier? Because that argument is supported in xl2000
and later.

From xl2000 help on Printout