Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Rod Rod is offline

Default Open an Excel Document using VB

I am new to VB. I was told Access cannot update xls via access, but must use
VB. I do not know of a VB community so am hoping this forum can help me
without breaking any rules. Here is the problem:

1) open the XLS file for read/write
2) find the next record eligible to be read signified by an "ImportDate" col
with the date it was imported in it. Find the next blank ImportDate - blank
signifies has not been imported yet.
3) I will need to store that record's LastName and PhoneNumber fields to be
placed in an Access tbl:

Source data file RRD Export.XLS
Last Name PhoneNumber
Doe John 5556667777

tblCandidates should receive:
tblCandidates.Number:5556667777
tblCandidates.Candidates:Doe John

When done, RRD Export.xls should look like:
Doe John 5556667777 08/06/2006

4) Once the first elligible record to be inported has been found, it should
read "X" amount of records from that point. "X" records should be determined
by an input, "Requested Record", from the user.

5) Once the "X" number of records has been read, it should end.

I think is not a tough thing to do, but I am new to VB programming and
could use the help.

Thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Rod wrote:
I am new to VB. I was told Access cannot update xls via access, but must use
VB. I do not know of a VB community so am hoping this forum can help me
without breaking any rules. Here is the problem:

<SNIP

you can control excel with access. i do it all the time. add the
excel reference to the VBE within Access and write some code.

AR

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Rod Rod is offline

Being new to VB, I do not have any idea where to start. Can you point me in
the right direction?

"ducky" wrote:

Rod wrote:
I am new to VB. I was told Access cannot update xls via access, but must use
VB. I do not know of a VB community so am hoping this forum can help me
without breaking any rules. Here is the problem:

<SNIP

you can control excel with access. i do it all the time. add the
excel reference to the VBE within Access and write some code.

AR

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=167223
Microsoft Office 97 Automation Help File Available on MSL

http://support.microsoft.com/support...aqVBOffice.asp
Frequently Asked Questions about Microsoft Office Automation Using Visual
Basic

http://support.microsoft.com/support...fdevinapps.asp
Programming Office from Within Office

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=219151
Q219151 - HOWTO: Automate Excel 97 and Excel 2000 from Visual Basic

http://support.microsoft.com/support...automation.asp
Using Automation with Microsoft Excel 97

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=170745
XL97: How to Create PivotTable from Word

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=177760
VBA: How to Run Macros in Other Office Programs

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=153748
ACC: How to Call Excel Functions from Within Microsoft Access

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=159922
XL97: Using Quit Method May Cause Illegal Operation

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=145770
ACC: Automation Does Not Close Microsoft Excel

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=123859
ACC: Sample OLE Automation for MS Word and MS Excel

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=142476
Q142476 - ACC: Using Automation to Create and Manipulate an Excel Workbook

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=199219
XL2000: Automation Doesn't Release Excel Object from Memory

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=213602
XL2000: CreateObject and GetObject Work Differently

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=114347
INFO: OLE Automation Objects with GetObject and CreateObject

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=184273
ACC97: How to Use Automation to Create a Microsoft Excel Chart

Tom Ogilvy