Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Secure, license and sell spreadsheets

I am currently developing engineering design spreadsheets using VBA. My
programming and software development knowledge does not extend past being
able to write code in VBA. My question therefore is how does one go about
creating a spreadsheet that is secure, operates off a license key (or
equivalent) and can be sold to interested parties that have Excel?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

If you want to make it secure, you will HAVE to write all or some of the key
code in other than VBA. Either write a VB solution that uses automation to
access Excel, or create a DLL and call the DLL from VB. But this means that
you have to distribute the DLL and get it installed as well as the product.

Licensing is tricky, not worth coding yourself IMO. Better to buy a product,
such as AppSentinel, http://www.thescarms.com/appsentinel/default.asp.

Selling is even harder. You have to identify your market, and find a way to
make them aware of the product and make them want it. Can't offer anything
more than that I am afraid.

--
HTH

Bob Phillips