Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Macros & Digital Signatures

Just a question about digital sigs -

I do not have a digital signature, but I've seen some information on
creating my own. If I did create my own signature, could I email this
signature to everyone who would want to use the spreadsheet? Or will the sig
only work on my computer?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Anna,
No, it will work on any computer that has it.
Use selfcert.exe which is (probably) installed on your computer.

NickHK

"anna" wrote in message
Just a question about digital sigs -

I do not have a digital signature, but I've seen some information on
creating my own. If I did create my own signature, could I email this
signature to everyone who would want to use the spreadsheet? Or will the

sig
only work on my computer?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Anna,

This may not work for you, but...

You can create a signature using selfcert.exe. If you make your project an
add-in, then users will not be prompted to enable macros unless they have
security set to very high.

--
Robin Hammond
www.enhanceddatasystems.com

"anna" wrote in message
Just a question about digital sigs -

I do not have a digital signature, but I've seen some information on
creating my own. If I did create my own signature, could I email this
signature to everyone who would want to use the spreadsheet? Or will the
sig
only work on my computer?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Anna

Self-cert signatures from the MS Office Tools can be used only on the computer
on which it is created.

To create an add-in you just open the workbook with the macros and FileSave
AsFile Type Add-in(*.xla) which is found waaaaay down at the bottom of the
list.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

"anna" wrote in message
Just a question about digital sigs -

I do not have a digital signature, but I've seen some information on
creating my own. If I did create my own signature, could I email this
signature to everyone who would want to use the spreadsheet? Or will the
sig
only work on my computer?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hmmm... well, I created an add-in and now I get an error that it is not a
valid add-in. Will have to do some more research on this, I suppose!

Once I have it working, will the add-in just be permanently attached to the
workbook or will the users have to add it? Just thinking outloud really -
I'll do some reading on Microsoft's page.

Thanks.

"anna" wrote in message
Just a question about digital sigs -

I do not have a digital signature, but I've seen some information on
creating my own. If I did create my own signature, could I email this
signature to everyone who would want to use the spreadsheet? Or will the
sig
only work on my computer?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi,

The user has to install them in the computer and add-ins are not attached to
workbooks, you can use them whenever you want (as long as you have installed
them). An example of Add-In is the Solver.

Try to save a blank workbook as an add-in, just for having some example.
Excel will immediately change its extension from .xls to .xla and save it in
the add-ins folder. By the way, the name of the workbook is not the name of
the add-in. Instead, the name of the add-in is the "Title" of the file as
defined in the properties of the file. (Alt+F, i) if you have the book open
and (Alt+F, r) if you are in Windows Explorer.

Cya!

--
Carlos