Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default How to use Digital Signatures

Do they service a useful purpose?

I wanted to test something else out on my machine, so I backed up my
system with DriveImage. within VBA I looked in
Tools - Digital Signature - Choose
I had no certificates

Then installed selfcert, made a certificate, attached it to a
spreadsheet via Choose, saved it to floppy

I then restored my system, checked in Choose, and there were no
certificates, but when I opened my spreadsheet it told me it was signed
without the need for the certificate

I thought the idea of certificates were to install them into the trusted
source or whatever. I can't really see how I can genuinely trust
certificates that have my name in cos they may be forged and it just
seems like a variation on the theme that "this spreadsheet contains
macros"

Is there a better way of managing Digital Signatures so only I can
install certificate, and only files signed with that certificate can be
trusted
--
Mike
Please post replies to newsgroup to benefit others
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
JK JK is offline

Mike,

The obvious answer is to purchase it from Verisign. It's about $450 a year.
But hopefully someone provides you a cheaper way because I would have an
interest too.

Jim Kobzeff

"Mike NG" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 at 00:52:46, JK (JK ) wrote:
The obvious answer is to purchase it from Verisign. It's about $450 a year.
But hopefully someone provides you a cheaper way because I would have an
interest too.

I think I'll forget it then