Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Skip to next input cell on protected worksheet

Is there a way of skipping to the next input cell, on a protected
worksheet, when the enter/return key is pressed ?

I have a protected worksheet with a number of input cells. Because of
the layout there are rows in between the input cells, so when
enter/return is pressed the cell immediately below the current one is
selected, instead, I would like to move to the next input cell at this
point.

Thanks and regards
Fred

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Jon,

Sadly i'm a mere Excel/97 user. I aspire to 2000, but as for 2002, the
air must be rarified indeed.

Thanks for the pointer though, i'll store for future reference.

Regards
Fred

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Fred,
Unless I misunderstand, isn't this set in Options, whether Enter moves down,
right or nowhere.
Also, if you set the worksheet property .EnablesSelection to
xlUnlockedCells, it should achieve your goal.
That's XL2K, can't say about XL97.

NickHK

"Fred"
egroups.com...
Is there a way of skipping to the next input cell, on a protected
worksheet, when the enter/return key is pressed ?

I have a protected worksheet with a number of input cells. Because of
the layout there are rows in between the input cells, so when
enter/return is pressed the cell immediately below the current one is
selected, instead, I would like to move to the next input cell at this
point.

Thanks and regards
Fred

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Nick,

Not really. In Excel/97, the only options in the "Move selection after
enter" are Up, Down, Left or Right. Whether the sheet is Protected or
not, when enter is pressed the next cell (as selected in the Move
Selection option) is selected.

What I am after is for it to go to the next Unlocked cell, as per
Format Cells, Protection. Using the TAB key, with the worksheet
protected, the next Unlocked cell is selected.

I have seen, and tried implementing a number of solutions, identified
in this group, the one i'm missing at the moment is what to do if there
is no change to the content of an input cell. I have coded up
Worksheet_Change routine that works fine, as long as the cell content
changes, but if unchanged, nothing happens.

Cheers
Fred

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

If I understand you correctly (as I can't the earlier posts in this thread),
as well as protection, you need to set the worksheet property
..EnableSelection=1 (xlUnlockedCells).
Either in code or from the properties sheet.
I presume this is available in XL97.

NickHK

"Fred" wrote in message
ups.com...

Hi Nick,

Not really. In Excel/97, the only options in the "Move selection after
enter" are Up, Down, Left or Right. Whether the sheet is Protected or
not, when enter is pressed the next cell (as selected in the Move
Selection option) is selected.

What I am after is for it to go to the next Unlocked cell, as per
Format Cells, Protection. Using the TAB key, with the worksheet
protected, the next Unlocked cell is selected.

I have seen, and tried implementing a number of solutions, identified
in this group, the one i'm missing at the moment is what to do if there
is no change to the content of an input cell. I have coded up
Worksheet_Change routine that works fine, as long as the cell content
changes, but if unchanged, nothing happens.

Cheers
Fred

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Nick

Perfect, that did just what I was after.

Many thanks
Fred