Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Multi-Spreadsheet text and data extraction

I'm having trouble figuring out how to code a macro that will perform this
function:

-Extract text in a column of spreadsheet #1
-Look up that same text in a column of spreadsheet #2
-Either highlight it for later use and/or
-Copy data within the same row of spreadsheet #2, but a different column
associated with the extracted text from spreadsheet #1
-Return to spreadsheet #1 and paste the data extracted from #2 into the same
row, but a new column.

This is apart of a data mining exercise in a cancer research lab. It falls
under the realm s of bioinformatics, but since so many people here appear to
be expert, I figured I ought to start here.

Cheers,
taiwansmith
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I think I would bring the data into Access as separate tables (either import
or linked tables). Then build a query joining the two tables on the column
you speak of.

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"taiwansmith" wrote:
| I'm having trouble figuring out how to code a macro that will perform this
| function:
|
| -Extract text in a column of spreadsheet #1
| -Look up that same text in a column of spreadsheet #2
| -Either highlight it for later use and/or
| -Copy data within the same row of spreadsheet #2, but a different column
| associated with the extracted text from spreadsheet #1
| -Return to spreadsheet #1 and paste the data extracted from #2 into the
same
| row, but a new column.
|
| This is apart of a data mining exercise in a cancer research lab. It
falls
| under the realm s of bioinformatics, but since so many people here appear
| be expert, I figured I ought to start here.
|
| Cheers,
| taiwansmith

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

If you are going to keep your data in excel rather than moving it to access,
then
This is tailor made for the Vlookup function. (no programming required)

Look at the examples in excel help for the lookup functions: vlookup,
hlookup, lookup, combination of Index and Match.

Tom Ogilvy