Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Automate extraction of data from mainframe report into spreadsheet

Has someone come up with a process where they automate the extraction of
mainframe report data ( it would be FTP'ed down into a text file ) and
getting that data into an Excel spreadsheet ? There are a few wrinkles in
what I would like to happen:
1.) I know how to FTP report file from mainframe down to PC as .txt file.
2.) I don't know how to extract data I want from the report .txt file so
that I can get it into the spreadsheet. I do not want a manual process, so I
would want that automated.
3.) Once the data from a certain day is in the spreadsheet, can I update
the same sheet day after day adding the data from the current day to the next
open cell ? Across the sheet, I would need a date field, PCTG ( percentage )
A, PCTG B, and PCTG C. So, four fields per row per day.
4.) When the month changes, can I create a new sheet and begin the process
over again within this new sheet ?

I appreciate anyone's help with this.

Thanks,
Dave Cox