Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Search text in multiple files in multiple directories

Problem: Multiple Excel files in multiple directories that all need to be
queried for differnt string values.

Unknown - I am not sure if I will be expected to simply find the text
strings, count them or return all of them individually or along with other
data in the same record or row of the spreadsheets.

If anyone know of code, add-ins, or resources (both people or knowledge base
type articles) any help would be appreciated. If more information is needed
before you can even suggest anything please let me know. Thanks,

Andrew

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Andrew,
How is the data organised ?
Is it all in structured tables like a database, or all over the place ?

If it's structured, you can use ADO/SQL on the closed workbooks.
Otherwise, you'll need to open each and use .Find .

NickHK

"Andrew" wrote in message
Problem: Multiple Excel files in multiple directories that all need to be
queried for differnt string values.

Unknown - I am not sure if I will be expected to simply find the text
strings, count them or return all of them individually or along with other
data in the same record or row of the spreadsheets.

If anyone know of code, add-ins, or resources (both people or knowledge

base
type articles) any help would be appreciated. If more information is

needed
before you can even suggest anything please let me know. Thanks,

Andrew

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

It looks like it's a mix. Several spreadsheets have column/field headers
structured just like a database but other spreadsheets have data all over the
place. Thanks for the ADO/SQL tip.

"Andrew" wrote in message
Problem: Multiple Excel files in multiple directories that all need to be
queried for differnt string values.

Unknown - I am not sure if I will be expected to simply find the text
strings, count them or return all of them individually or along with other
data in the same record or row of the spreadsheets.

If anyone know of code, add-ins, or resources (both people or knowledge

base
type articles) any help would be appreciated. If more information is

needed
before you can even suggest anything please let me know. Thanks,

Andrew

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Andrew,
If you know which is which, use ADO on the DB/table structures and
..Open/.Find on the others.
Not sure if there is something in the older Macro4/GET stuff that can help.

NickHK