Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Shared workbook shows wrong data

I have a shared workbook that typically has 3-5 users sharing. Once o
twice a week someone complains eithor that information shows up in
row that no one entered, or the information they did enter has bee
changed and is incorrect. Checking with other users confirms that n
one changed the information. Using "Highlight Changes", it will show
user made a change, but from talking with the users it is clear th
user did not make the change. Often it is clear the information "moved
from above or below the cell in the same column. Column sorts are no
being performed and are not the problem.

Today my boss said he had an incident where he made an entry and cam
back the next day and a different date was in the cell. He looked a
other people's computers in the office and it was correct on thei
machine. So his machine on the shared workbook was the only machin
that showed incorrect information. He closed Excel and reopened th
shared workbook, and the date that had been incorrect magicall
corrected itself.

What happens is that when the workbook is in this "incorrect" state
entries and edits are recorded in rows other than what the viewer i
looking at, so that when the "incorrect" state is saved, other user
with the "correct" state will have entries in wrong rows.

The users use filters a lot but hardly ever sort. For new lines the
insert a blank row between other rows. I've looked at the problem o
duplicate "phantom" users showing up in the shared user list and wrot
a macro that gets rid of any phantom users if they exist. I'm thinkin
it may have something to do with the custom (personal) view that alway
gets created for each shared user, but turning off the view filte
settings makes no difference. Unsharing and sharing again seems to mak
no difference.

I am communicating with another person who has had this problem fo
over a year, so I know I am not the only one. Any ideas anyone? If
could just duplicate the problem I could find the solution.

Ber

--
justanormalgu
justanormalguy's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=3591

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

From your experience and many comments elsewhere, shared workbooks in Excel
are just not reliable enough.
If you have data used this way seriously think of moving to a DB, Access
would be suitable and better at dealing with concurrent users/data.

NickHK

"justanormalguy"
<justanormalguy.2bo92t_1154117409.2244@excelforu m-nospam.com wrote in
message news:justanormalguy.2bo92t_1154117409.2244@excelfo rum-nospam.com...

I have a shared workbook that typically has 3-5 users sharing. Once or
twice a week someone complains eithor that information shows up in a
row that no one entered, or the information they did enter has been
changed and is incorrect. Checking with other users confirms that no
one changed the information. Using "Highlight Changes", it will show a
user made a change, but from talking with the users it is clear the
user did not make the change. Often it is clear the information "moved"
from above or below the cell in the same column. Column sorts are not
being performed and are not the problem.

Today my boss said he had an incident where he made an entry and came
back the next day and a different date was in the cell. He looked at
other people's computers in the office and it was correct on their
machine. So his machine on the shared workbook was the only machine
that showed incorrect information. He closed Excel and reopened the
shared workbook, and the date that had been incorrect magically
corrected itself.

What happens is that when the workbook is in this "incorrect" state,
entries and edits are recorded in rows other than what the viewer is
looking at, so that when the "incorrect" state is saved, other users
with the "correct" state will have entries in wrong rows.

The users use filters a lot but hardly ever sort. For new lines they
insert a blank row between other rows. I've looked at the problem of
duplicate "phantom" users showing up in the shared user list and wrote
a macro that gets rid of any phantom users if they exist. I'm thinking
it may have something to do with the custom (personal) view that always
gets created for each shared user, but turning off the view filter
settings makes no difference. Unsharing and sharing again seems to make
no difference.

I am communicating with another person who has had this problem for
over a year, so I know I am not the only one. Any ideas anyone? If I
could just duplicate the problem I could find the solution.

Bert

--
justanormalguy
justanormalguy's Profile: