Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Send web mail from Excel (VBA)??

Hi,

is it possible to do the following in VBA:

I run a lenthy simulation on another computer and would like the
program to send me an emai when it is finished.

If I do this using MS Outlook i get a security warning which asks to
press "OK". So not much automation after all.
Can I send an email automatically using a web email account like gmail
or hotmail?

Thanks a lot?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi MaxS

Try CDO
http://www.rondebruin.nl/cdo.htm

--
Regards Ron de Bruin
http://www.rondebruin.nl

"MaxS" wrote in message oups.com...
Hi,

is it possible to do the following in VBA:

I run a lenthy simulation on another computer and would like the
program to send me an emai when it is finished.

If I do this using MS Outlook i get a security warning which asks to
press "OK". So not much automation after all.
Can I send an email automatically using a web email account like gmail
or hotmail?

Thanks a lot?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Ron,

your site helped and I could send the message via my gmail account.
However when I run the same code from work i get the following message:

"ActiveX component can't create object" on the line of code
"Set iConf = CreateObject(" CDO.Configuration")"

I have Win XP and Office 2002 at home and in the office. So the systems
are the same.

Any ideas why this can happen?

Here goes my code:

Sub Mail_Small_Text_CDO()
Dim iMsg As Object
Dim iConf As Object
Dim strbody As String
Dim Flds As Variant

Set iMsg = CreateObject("CDO.Message")
Set iConf = CreateObject(" CDO.Configuration")

' iConf.Load -1 ' CDO Source Defaults
Set Flds = iConf.Fields
With Flds
.Item("
http://schemas.microsoft.com/cdo/configuration/sendusing") = 2

..Item("http://schemas.microsoft.com/cdo/configuration/smtpauthenticate
") = 1

..Item("http://schemas.microsoft.com/cdo/configuration/smtpserver") =
"smtp.gmail.com "

..Item("http://schemas.microsoft.com/cdo/configuration/smtpserverport")
= 465
.Item("
http://schemas.microsoft.com/cdo/configuration/sendusername") =
"
.Item("
http://schemas.microsoft.com/cdo/configuration/sendpassword") = "my
pass"

..Item("http://schemas.microsoft.com/cdo/configuration/smtpusessl ") =
True
.Update
End With

strbody = "Hi there" & vbNewLine & vbNewLine & _
"This is line 1" & vbNewLine & _
"This is line 2" & vbNewLine & _
"This is line 3" & vbNewLine & _
"This is line 4"
With iMsg
Set .Configuration = iConf
.To = "
.CC = ""
.BCC = ""
.From = """MasS"" < "
.Subject = "Important message"
.TextBody = strbody
.Send
End With

Set iMsg = Nothing
Set iConf = Nothing
End Sub

Ron de Bruin wrote:

Hi MaxS

Try CDO
http://www.rondebruin.nl/cdo.htm

--
Regards Ron de Bruin
http://www.rondebruin.nl

"MaxS" wrote in message oups.com...
Hi,

is it possible to do the following in VBA:

I run a lenthy simulation on another computer and would like the
program to send me an emai when it is finished.

If I do this using MS Outlook i get a security warning which asks to
press "OK". So not much automation after all.
Can I send an email automatically using a web email account like gmail
or hotmail?

Thanks a lot?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Max,
At a guess, it looks like you have a extra leading space in "
CDO.Configuration".

NickHK

oups.com...

"MaxS" wrote in message

oups.com...
Hi,

is it possible to do the following in VBA:

I run a lenthy simulation on another computer and would like the
program to send me an emai when it is finished.

If I do this using MS Outlook i get a security warning which asks to
press "OK". So not much automation after all.
Can I send an email automatically using a web email account like gmail
or hotmail?

Thanks a lot?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thanks Nick!
I indeed missed that. Now however I get another error "The SendUsing
configuration value is invalid" but this probably has something to do
with company security settings, I guess..

"MaxS" wrote in message

oups.com...
Hi,

is it possible to do the following in VBA:

I run a lenthy simulation on another computer and would like the
program to send me an emai when it is finished.

If I do this using MS Outlook i get a security warning which asks to
press "OK". So not much automation after all.
Can I send an email automatically using a web email account like gmail
or hotmail?

Thanks a lot?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Max,
Couldn't answer you on that one.
Ron's your man when it all things CDO.

NickHK

oups.com...

"MaxS" wrote in message

oups.com...
Hi,

is it possible to do the following in VBA:

I run a lenthy simulation on another computer and would like the
program to send me an emai when it is finished.

If I do this using MS Outlook i get a security warning which asks

press "OK". So not much automation after all.
Can I send an email automatically using a web email account like

gmail
or hotmail?

Thanks a lot?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Max

If you not have a account in Outlook Express you must use the commented code lines in the examples on my site.
Read the text on my site

--

"MaxS" wrote in message

oups.com...
Hi,

is it possible to do the following in VBA:

I run a lenthy simulation on another computer and would like the
program to send me an emai when it is finished.

If I do this using MS Outlook i get a security warning which asks to
press "OK". So not much automation after all.
Can I send an email automatically using a web email account like gmail
or hotmail?

Thanks a lot?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

well, I did use those lines - they are just ugly formatted in the
message above. And I know that this code did work without Outlook at my
home - I got ony gmail account and not mail clinent.

Thank you.

"MaxS" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,

is it possible to do the following in VBA:

I run a lenthy simulation on another computer and would like the
program to send me an emai when it is finished.

If I do this using MS Outlook i get a security warning which asks to
press "OK". So not much automation after all.
Can I send an email automatically using a web email account like gmail
or hotmail?

Thanks a lot?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Maybe at work you need this

When you also get the Authentication Required Error you can add this three
lines..Item("http://schemas.microsoft.com/cdo/configuration/smtpauthenticate") = 1
..Item("http://schemas.microsoft.com/cdo/configuration/sendusername") = "username"
..Item("http://schemas.microsoft.com/cdo/configuration/sendpassword") = "password"
--
Regards Ron de Bruin
http://www.rondebruin.nl

"MaxS" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,

is it possible to do the following in VBA:

I run a lenthy simulation on another computer and would like the
program to send me an emai when it is finished.

If I do this using MS Outlook i get a security warning which asks to
press "OK". So not much automation after all.
Can I send an email automatically using a web email account like gmail
or hotmail?

Thanks a lot?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I think it is the firewall. When I ping smtp server all packages are
lost. However the code works fine on another network.

Thanks for the help!