Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Bob Bob is offline

Default Good books on VBA for Excel?

I am interested in learning how to write VBA scripts in Excel. Several
people have recommended "Excel 2003 Power Programming with VBA" by John
Walkenbach. Are there any other good books that come highly recommended?
Thanks for the advice.
Bob

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Debra Dalgleish has a list of books at her site:
http://www.contextures.com/xlbooks.html

John Walkenbach's is a nice one to start with.

Depending on how advanced you are...

Professional Excel Development
By Stephen Bullen, Rob Bovey, John Green

See if you can find them in your local bookstore/internet site and you can
choose what one you like best.

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

The book I use most is 'Definitive Guide to Excel VBA' by Michael Kofler. I
am not sure if I'd call it a how-to book - but its a great reference. I
started writing Excel VBA code after having a pretty good understanding of VB.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Bob Bob is offline

Dave,
Thanks for the recommendation. I will check out Bullen's book.
Bob

Bob wrote:

I am interested in learning how to write VBA scripts in Excel. Several
people have recommended "Excel 2003 Power Programming with VBA" by John
Walkenbach. Are there any other good books that come highly recommended?
Thanks for the advice.
Bob

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Bob Bob is offline

Thanks for the recommendation. I will check out Kofler's book.
Bob

"Filibuster" wrote:

The book I use most is 'Definitive Guide to Excel VBA' by Michael Kofler. I
am not sure if I'd call it a how-to book - but its a great reference. I
started writing Excel VBA code after having a pretty good understanding of VB.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Be aware that Stephen's "Professional Excel Development" book is
aimed at intermediate to advanced users and professional Excel
developers. It's a superb book (the only Excel book I own), but
isn't aimed toward the beginner. It assumes that you are already
familiar with the Excel object model and VBA programming.

If you're new to Excel/VBA, it might be over your head.

--
Cordially,
Chip Pearson

Bob wrote:

I am interested in learning how to write VBA scripts in
Excel. Several
people have recommended "Excel 2003 Power Programming with
VBA" by John
Walkenbach. Are there any other good books that come highly
recommended?
Thanks for the advice.
Bob

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Bob Bob is offline

Chip,
Thanks for the clarification. Given that I am relatively new to Excel's
object model and VBA programming, I'll stick with Walkenbach's book for the
time being.
Regards,
Bob

Bob wrote:

I am interested in learning how to write VBA scripts in
Excel. Several
people have recommended "Excel 2003 Power Programming with
VBA" by John
Walkenbach. Are there any other good books that come highly
recommended?
Thanks for the advice.
Bob

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I can only iterate what the other respondents have recommended. John
Walkenbach's "Excel 2003 Power Programming with VBA" is the best way to
learn Excel VBA and how to generally write clear organised code!
--
A. Ch. Eirinberg

"Bob" wrote:

I am interested in learning how to write VBA scripts in Excel. Several
people have recommended "Excel 2003 Power Programming with VBA" by John
Walkenbach. Are there any other good books that come highly recommended?
Thanks for the advice.
Bob

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

"Excel Basics to Blackbelt" www.excel-blackbelt.com
It's not comprehensive but contains some gems you won't find anywhere else.
Really designed for application development and integration (eg. with MS
MapPoint, RISKOptimizer, XLStat, etc.)