Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Excel Programing / VBE - Good Books?

I'm familiar with traditional-language programing (old Pascal hacker,
way back when that term implied white witches) and want to get up to
speed with Excel programing and, because I assume it's the foundation
underneath, Visual Basic. Is there a good, find it at Borders book that
covers the mainstream Excel/VBE techniques without wasting many pages
on programer-newbie stuff like "this is what a function is," "this is
what a variable is" explanantions?

...rainy weekend. Thought I'd try to dive in while I can. Tnx.

Jim Redfield

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

In article ,
jimredfield wrote:

I'm familiar with traditional-language programing (old Pascal hacker,
way back when that term implied white witches) and want to get up to
speed with Excel programing and, because I assume it's the foundation
underneath, Visual Basic. Is there a good, find it at Borders book that
covers the mainstream Excel/VBE techniques without wasting many pages
on programer-newbie stuff like "this is what a function is," "this is
what a variable is" explanantions?

..rainy weekend. Thought I'd try to dive in while I can. Tnx.

Best two I know of:

"Excel 2002 Power Programming with VBA" by John Walkenbach
"Excel 2002 VBA Programmer's Reference" by Bovey, Bullen, Green and
Rosenberg

The first is probably more what you're looking for, but they're both
worthwhile.

See more at Debra Dalgliesh's site:
http://www.contextures.on.ca/tiptech.htmls
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I would say the second is more what is sought (1 chapter primer, then into
the topics), but agree both are good.

Tom Ogilvy

J.E. McGimpsey wrote in message
In article ,
jimredfield wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Welcome to the friendly computer language of the new millineum! As a former
PASCAL programmer, I fell right in with VB. C and C- and C flat is the
programmers choice, but I don't want to get that deep. Hey, VB gets real
deep, and even a doofus like me can understand it.
You're right, Excel VBA is a great way to start with Visual Basic. For one
thing, it comes with one of the best ever applications at no extra charge.
The books are great, but you might want to update your Excel installation to
make sure that it includes VBA help. That's not part of the standard
installation. Also, many web resources are available, especially if you
want to skip the variable, loop, if-then tedium. I must say, however, a
little review doesn't hurt. Visual Basic is available in lots of other
applications. The main difference you'll notice between PASCAL and VB is
the Object, Methods, Properties aspect. You'll like this. Have a good
rainy weekend!

Oh, yeah. "The Definitive Guide to Excel VBA" by Micheal Kofler. Written
in German and translated, so the text is a little odd, but a very good book.

"jimredfield" wrote in message
I'm familiar with traditional-language programing (old Pascal hacker,
way back when that term implied white witches) and want to get up to
speed with Excel programing and, because I assume it's the foundation
underneath, Visual Basic. Is there a good, find it at Borders book that
covers the mainstream Excel/VBE techniques without wasting many pages
on programer-newbie stuff like "this is what a function is," "this is
what a variable is" explanantions?

..rainy weekend. Thought I'd try to dive in while I can. Tnx.

Jim Redfield

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

My wife's a programmer's widow once again. Bought the Walenbach book
(couldn't find the Bovey, Bullen..., or the Kofler). Thanks again to
you all for your prompt help. - Jim