Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Sum of $ amounts within a range of dates

Hello All,
I have a worksheet with 4 columns of data. Column A is Dates (i.e.
07/26/2006...), Columns B and C fluff and Column D has $ amounts. I
have been asked to show the total $ amounts by month and Quarter in a
separate sheet. I'm looking for a way to do this with a formula but I
am not opposed to do it with VB.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
David

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Two possible solutions. One would be to use a pivot table (this is the
easiest and most flexible solution). Place your cusor in the middle of the
data. Select Data- Pivot Table... this will bring up the wizard. You can
probably just select Finish (you may need to follow all of the steps but
probably not). A new sheet will be created with a pivot table on it. Drag
your dates to the left hand column and the amounts into the middle of the
pivot table (this should now show the amounts totaled by day). Now right
click anywhere in the dates and select Group. Select Days, Months, Years,
Quarters, ... Your data will now be Totaled by days months years quarters...

The other possible solution would be to use the Sumproduct formula but that
will be a bit more tricky. Here is a link to Sumproduct, but I would try the
pivot table first...

HTH...

Jim Thomlinson