Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Function that compares dates and returns TRUE or FALSE

Hi,

I'll need to come up with a function that compares each value in column
D with '12/31/2005 ' and return TRUE if the value in column D is
smaller than '12/31/2005 ', but FALSE if it is greater than '12/31/2005
'.

I have the following formula:

=(D1<'12/31/2005')

But this gives me an error.

Also I'l need to know how to apply this formula to other rows. Thanks!

-Emily

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Emily,

Please copy and paste the follow in cell E1

=IF(D1<38717,"True","False")

After this is done, please copy cell E1 and paste in column E
throughout.

P.S: 38717 is the value corresponding to '12/31/2005 '

Thanks,
Yash

Emily wrote:
Hi,

I'll need to come up with a function that compares each value in column
D with '12/31/2005 ' and return TRUE if the value in column D is
smaller than '12/31/2005 ', but FALSE if it is greater than '12/31/2005
'.

I have the following formula:

=(D1<'12/31/2005')

But this gives me an error.

Also I'l need to know how to apply this formula to other rows. Thanks!

-Emily

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

or

=IF(DATE(2005,12,31)D5,TRUE,FALSE)

--
VBA Noob
VBA Noob's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=33833

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Yash, Jake,

Thanks for your advice! It works.

Now I've got all of the TRUE's and FALSE's, and I'll need to sort the
rows by this value. Howver, when I double-click on the header, nothing
happened. Any advice on how to sort?

-Emily

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thanks all for the help! It works!

Now I have another question about sorting the rows by this TRUE or
FALSE value.
FYI, I'll start a new topic.

-Emily

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

One mo
=d1<date(2005,12,31)

It'll return true or false (you don't need the =if() stuff.

or maybe...

=year(d1)<2005

Emily wrote:

Hi,

I'll need to come up with a function that compares each value in column
D with '12/31/2005 ' and return TRUE if the value in column D is
smaller than '12/31/2005 ', but FALSE if it is greater than '12/31/2005
'.

I have the following formula:

=(D1<'12/31/2005')

But this gives me an error.

Also I'l need to know how to apply this formula to other rows. Thanks!

-Emily

--

Dave Peterson