Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default HTML Help problem

For the users of my templates, I made a CHM format help file using
Microsoft HTML Help Workshop.

I am facing two problem:

1. If I try to open the CHM file using Application.Help, I get an "Out
of Memory" error. Can't solve this one. The workaround is to use the
HTMLHelp API call. As a test, tried opening MS supplied CHM files using
Application.Help. Works fine. Which means so parm needs to be set to
some special value in my own CHM. Comments?

2. Spent three days trying to get around Excel crashing with a GPF when
I tried to close the help file using HTMLHelp 0&, "", HH_CLOSE_ALL, 0&.
The MS kb and other solutions on the Net suggested changes to the
registry, which is not practical as would have to go to each user's PC
to implement that. So had to use the tried and tested method of problem
solving: Used random changes to see what works. The method that works,
is to not leave the pszFile parm blank as the API says in the close_all
call, but to give the CHM file name there.

There's a 3rd problem - more of an annoyance really. The help window
that opens is inside another window. Can't figure out why.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Solved!

This took a lot of trial and error.

I made a small test CHM and it worked fine with Application.Help. I looked
up all the settings in the test and main CHM and all were identical. The main
CHM continued to give the 'Out of memory' error in Excel.

Finally found the difference. It was that the main CHM filename contained
spaces. Removed the spaces and everything is working ok now. Go figure.