Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default rename files in a folder

Hi,

I have a set of .wav files in a folder. Can some one help me with a macro
which could rename all the files in a folder.

the naming scheme should be as mentioned below

oldname : 123456_xyz
newname: 123456

i.e. the new name should only contain the first 6 first characters of the
ond name.

--
Varun Nair

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Dim FSO As Object

Sub ProcessFiles()
Dim i As Long
Dim sFolder As String
Dim fldr As Object
Dim Folder As Object
Dim file As Object
Dim Files As Object
Dim this As Workbook
Dim cnt As Long
Dim sName As String

Set FSO = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")

Set this = ActiveWorkbook
sFolder = "C:\MyTest"
If sFolder < "" Then
Set Folder = FSO.GetFolder(sFolder)

Set Files = Folder.Files
cnt = 1
For Each file In Files
If file.Type = "Microsoft Excel Worksheet" Then
sName = Replace(file.Name, ".xls", "")
' Name file.Path As Replace(file.Path, sname, Left(sname, 6))
cnt = cnt + 1
End If
Next file

End If ' sFolder < ""

HTH

Bob Phillips

"Varun Nair" wrote in message

I have a set of .wav files in a folder. Can some one help me with a macro
which could rename all the files in a folder.

the naming scheme should be as mentioned below

oldname : 123456_xyz
newname: 123456

i.e. the new name should only contain the first 6 first characters of the
ond name.

--
Varun Nair

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Bob,

But as i have mentioned that I have .wav files in my folder and not excel
files.
would this code work for wav files as well?
--
Varun Nair

"Varun Nair" wrote in message

I have a set of .wav files in a folder. Can some one help me with a macro
which could rename all the files in a folder.

the naming scheme should be as mentioned below

oldname : 123456_xyz
newname: 123456

i.e. the new name should only contain the first 6 first characters of the
ond name.

--
Varun Nair

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Varun,

As an alternative, try:

'=============
Public Sub Tester001()
Dim FName As String
Dim MyPath As String
Dim OldName As String
Dim NewName As String

MyPath = "C:\B\Test\" '<<==== CHANGE
FName = Dir(MyPath & "*.Wav")
Do While FName < ""
OldName = FName
NewName = Left(OldName, 6) & ".Wav"

Name MyPath & OldName As MyPath & NewName

FName = Dir()
Loop
End Sub
'<<=============

---
Regards,
Norman

"Varun Nair" wrote in message

I have a set of .wav files in a folder. Can some one help me with a macro
which could rename all the files in a folder.

the naming scheme should be as mentioned below

oldname : 123456_xyz
newname: 123456

i.e. the new name should only contain the first 6 first characters of the
ond name.

--
Varun Nair

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

HI norman,

I tried using your code.
but it didn't do anything.

a reminder that i am using the VB on excel. is there any .ocx that i need to
include?
--
Varun Nair

"Norman Jones" wrote:

Hi Varun,

As an alternative, try:

'=============

"Varun Nair" wrote in message

I have a set of .wav files in a folder. Can some one help me with a macro
which could rename all the files in a folder.

the naming scheme should be as mentioned below

oldname : 123456_xyz
newname: 123456

i.e. the new name should only contain the first 6 first characters of the
ond name.

--
Varun Nair

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Yes, of course it would, it is just a name

Change

If file.Type = "Microsoft Excel Worksheet" Then

If file.Type = "WAV File" Then

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

"Varun Nair" wrote in message

I have a set of .wav files in a folder. Can some one help me with a

macro
which could rename all the files in a folder.

the naming scheme should be as mentioned below

oldname : 123456_xyz
newname: 123456

i.e. the new name should only contain the first 6 first characters of

the
ond name.

--
Varun Nair

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Varun,

The suggested code works for me without problem.

I assumed that your wav files had a .Wav extension. If the the extension is
different (or non-existant), then you will need accordingly to replace the
expression: & "*.Wav" in the line

FName = Dir(MyPath & "*.Wav")

---
Regards,