Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Have not a clue how to do this

Hello-

I don't even know if I'm in the right place to ask the question. Please help
if you can.

Everyday, I open an Access database that reads from some other bigger
database via ODBC. I have a query that pulls a few columns of data into
Access (which I just update and export into Excel).

But, I need to compare one of the columns of data with the previous days
data. If it is not the same, move yesterdays data (which is in the "TODAY"
column) to "PREVIOUS" column and put the new data in "TODAY".

Column A = Serial Number
Column B = TODAY's date
Column C = TODAY's (IP Address)
Column D = PREVIOUS date
Column C = PREVIOUS (IP Address)

I have NO idea where the best place for this action is. Is it better to do
in Access? or Excel? In the end, I would like a report that just shows the
rows that where changed today.

I'm certain I will probably have to expand on this, but this should get me
started.

Thank you so much!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

IMO this task is best suited to Access (database). Excel is designed
(primarialy) to manipulate numerical data. You are not trying to manipulate
numerical data. You are trying to relate data from two different days to see
if they match... That is best done in a database.
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

"DTTODGG" wrote:

[...]

I have no clue about how to use vba amy howell Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 0 May 6th 08 01:31 AM
Not a clue of which function to use! y_not Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 1 April 11th 06 07:23 PM
No Clue... tahir Excel Programming 3 March 22nd 06 12:44 PM
I have not got a clue emailreynolds Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 1 August 25th 05 06:12 PM
any clue? vikram Excel Programming 2 April 29th 04 04:04 PM