Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Delete (kill) active workbook on close: Possible?

Have a file I call Updater. Sent out with File F2
Updater takes info from F1, copies to F2.
When process complete, I'd like Updater to be killed,
but it is the active workbook.
Is there a way to kill a file on closing?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

On Error GoTo ErrorHandler
With ActiveWorkbook
If .Path < "" Then
.Saved = True
.ChangeFileAccess xlReadOnly
Kill ActiveWorkbook.FullName
End If
End With
Exit Sub

ErrorHandler:
MsgBox "Fail to delete file: " & ActiveWorkbook.FullName
Exit Sub

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

"BEEJAY" wrote in message
Have a file I call Updater. Sent out with File F2
Updater takes info from F1, copies to F2.
When process complete, I'd like Updater to be killed,
but it is the active workbook.
Is there a way to kill a file on closing?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Bob,

As a friendly suggestion, the error handler message box mentions "delete"ing
the file. I don't believe the code you posted actually "deletes" the file,
instead, it just unloads it, kills it, etc. If the file were "deleted" I
would not be able to open/run the file at a later date. Unloading/Killing
the file simply means I would need to load it from storage(disk) again at my
convienience.

Sincerely,

Christmas May

"BEEJAY" wrote in message
Have a file I call Updater. Sent out with File F2
Updater takes info from F1, copies to F2.
When process complete, I'd like Updater to be killed,
but it is the active workbook.
Is there a way to kill a file on closing?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thanks for the input.
Yes, I want the file GONE.
They would have to reload it from their CD in order to use it a 2nd time.

1: The following layout gives me a 'compile error - Expect end of sub.
2: If I could trouble you to check the rest over. I'm having difficulty in
two
locations, as marked <<<===
I feel I've made a real mess of this one, although it seems to (almost) work.

Sub QCNum_Updater()
' QCNum_Updater Macro
Dim myQCNum As Workbook
Dim myQCNum_1 As Workbook
Dim myQCNum_OLD As Workbook
Dim myQCNum_Updater As Workbook
Application.ScreenUpdating = False
Application.EnableEvents = False
Application.DisplayAlerts = False
Call GetInstructions

Set myQCNum = Workbooks.Open("C:\Excel Add_Ins\QCNum.xls")

With myQCNum
.SaveAs (["QCNum_OLD"])
.Close SaveChanges:=True
End With

Set myQCNum = Workbooks.Open("C:\Excel Add_Ins\QCNum.xls")
Set myQCNum_1 = Workbooks.Open("C:\Excel Add_Ins\QCNum_1.xls")

' TO (QCNum_1), then (QCNum) FROM: Sheet 1, D6 = Salesmans Code Number
' Sheet 2, G3 = Current Contract Number

myQCNum_1.Worksheets("Sheet1").Range("D6").Value = _
myQCNum.Worksheets("Sheet1").Range("D6").Value

myQCNum_1.Worksheets("Sheet2").Range("G3").Value = _
myQCNum.Worksheets("Sheet2").Range("G3").Value

With myQCNum_1
.SaveCopyAs (["C:\Excel Add_Ins\QCNum.xls"]) '<<=Does not want to
work
.Close SaveChanges:=True
End With

'Delete Existing QCNum_1 File
' Kill "C:\Excel Add_Ins\QCNum_1.xls" '<<<==== Works Great!!

Application.EnableEvents = True
Application.ScreenUpdating = True
Application.DisplayAlerts = True
Call Complete

' On Error GoTo ErrorHandler
With ActiveWorkbook
If .Path < "" Then
.Saved = True
.ChangeFileAccess xlReadOnly
Kill ActiveWorkbook.FullName
End If
End With
Exit Sub

'ErrorHandler: MsgBox "Fail to delete File:" & ActiveWorkbook.FullName
Application.EnableEvents = True
Application.ScreenUpdating = True
Application.DisplayAlerts = True

'Exit Sub

"BEEJAY" wrote in message
Have a file I call Updater. Sent out with File F2
Updater takes info from F1, copies to F2.
When process complete, I'd like Updater to be killed,
but it is the active workbook.
Is there a way to kill a file on closing?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
JMB JMB is offline

I tried Bob's code (curiosity) and it deleted the file (activeworkbook) from
the hard drive. After I closed the activebook, there was nothing to reload.
It looks to me that if a line is added to the macro to close the book w/o
saving it, it's history. Did you try the code?

"BEEJAY" wrote in message
Have a file I call Updater. Sent out with File F2
Updater takes info from F1, copies to F2.
When process complete, I'd like Updater to be killed,
but it is the active workbook.
Is there a way to kill a file on closing?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thanks for the input so far.
My level of competance is so low that I would not dare to question a
suggestion
without trying it out.
My first problem is that whenever I try to run the code (added in with my
code),
the cursor jumps to the very end and comes up with 'Compile Error - Expect
End Sub'
If I change the last Exit to End, it still comes up with the same message.
If someone could point me in the right direction here, then I can do further
testing and see what else I have messed up.
Thank-you
NOTE: I Rem'd out the one Kill Statement (for now) because it DOES work,
and I got tired of having to reinstall that file every time I did a test.

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

Kill is delete.

Try it, you'll see.

--

"BEEJAY" wrote in message
Have a file I call Updater. Sent out with File F2
Updater takes info from F1, copies to F2.
When process complete, I'd like Updater to be killed,
but it is the active workbook.
Is there a way to kill a file on closing?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I just gave the code not a macro.

Us this and run it from Excel (ToolsMacroMacros... select KillMyFile from
the list and run it)

Sub KillMyFile()

"BEEJAY" wrote in message
Thanks for the input so far.
My level of competance is so low that I would not dare to question a
suggestion
without trying it out.
My first problem is that whenever I try to run the code (added in with my
code),
the cursor jumps to the very end and comes up with 'Compile Error - Expect
End Sub'
If I change the last Exit to End, it still comes up with the same message.
If someone could point me in the right direction here, then I can do

further
testing and see what else I have messed up.
Thank-you
NOTE: I Rem'd out the one Kill Statement (for now) because it DOES work,
and I got tired of having to reinstall that file every time I did a test.

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

Kill is delete.

Try it, you'll see.