Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Automate opening a 2nd xl book and copy ranges to other xlbook

I'm in the process of automating transfer of data from one xlbook to another.
Now-
Is it possible to open the second xlbook, found in another part of the
server, the sheet range is vertical with a group of cells offset to the
right, which is what has to be copied.
When the two values in both sheets match, the range, which is offset to the
right on the second sheet is copied to the horizontal range in the first
sheet.
The process continues down copying offset ranges from one sheet to the other
when the cell values in both sheets match.
will this work as though the two sheets belong to the same book instead of
being in separate books?
Then
Step down to another matching cell value.

To open the second book I'm using the following

Function Isexcelrunning() As Boolean
'detrmines if and instance of excel is already running

Dim xlapp As Excel.Application
On Error Resume Next
Set xlapp = GetObject(, "excel.application")
Isexcelrunning = (Err.Number = 0)
Set xlapp = Nothing
Err.Clear

End Function

Function TransferInfo()

Dim xlapp As Excel.Application
Dim xlbook As Excel.Workbook
Dim xlsheet As Excel.Worksheet
Dim excelrunning As Boolean

excelrunning = Isexcelrunning() ' see above
If excelrunning Then
Set xlapp = GetObject(, "excel.application")
Else
Set xlapp = CreateObject("excel.application")
End If

'open the required excel file

Set xlbook = xlapp.Workbooks.Open(Filename:="C:\Documents and
Settings\billp\Desktop\New Folder\job costings.xls")
'set reference to a worksheet object in the workbook

Set xlsheet = xlbook.Sheets(1)
xlsheet.Activate

'set up parameters and cell ranges
'table in worksheet "job costings" is vertical
'table in worksheet "table" is vertical
'take values form one worksheet and copy to the other worksheet

'close worksheet with reference data

xlbook.Close savechanges:=True

'close microsoft excel and destroy object variables
If Not excelrunning Then xlapp.Quit

Set xlsheet = Nothing
Set xlbook = Nothing
Set xlapp = Nothing

End Function

And I have been successful in the past with a similar code as below to step
vertically copying and pasting horizontally
'table in worksheet(20) is vertical
'table in worksheet(20) is Horizontal

Dim rng1 As Range, rng2 As Range, rng3 As Range, rng4 As Range, rng5
As Range, rng6 As Range, rng20 As Range
Dim cell As Range
Dim res As Variant
Dim z As Variant
Dim c As Variant

Sheet20.Visible = True ' "Five_Market_Union" sheet 20
Set rng20 = Sheet20.Range("F2:F18")
rng20.Clear 'clear the contents of the
cells B4 repasting
Set rng1 = Sheet20.Range("A2:A18") 'Vertical range for Market
Names Sheet (20)

Set rng2 = Sheet20.Range("A22:E22") ' Horizontal Range

For Each cell In rng1
res = "" 'res = some string on sheet 20
res = Application.Match(cell.Value, rng2, 0) ' match string
on sht 20 with something on sht 13

If Not IsError(res) Then
' they match, do something

z = ""
z = cell.Value 'set object from Match function

Set rng3 = Sheet20.Range("A22:E22").Find(what:=z) 'find the value in
sht20
Set rng5 = rng3.Offset(1, 0) '1 cells down 0 cells across

Set rng4 = Sheet20.Range("A2:A18").Find(what:=z) 'find the correct
cell
Set rng6 = rng4.Offset(0, 5) ' 0 cells down 5 cells across
rng5.Copy Destination:=Sheet20.Range(rng6.Address) '.PasteSpecial
' copy the value

'seems to only copy value once to a market and step on
'to the next match - 19/05/06
Else
' they don't match
End If
' continue the search
Next

I am hoping to use a modified match code and want to know if it will be as
easy to use across two workbooks as it is with two sheets in the same
workbook, or will there be a problem with making sheets visible and then
making the next then making it visible again.

Or
Is there an easy way to selectivly copy and paste selected ranges form one
book to another automatically depending on matching values in both worksheets.

Help
--
Regards
Bill
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Is it possible to automate this from the first Book?
I.E what I would like to do is have this function start when the first book
is opened so that new data can be added automatically from the second book.
Ive been plugging away for some time now and end up with how do I refernece
the first books sheet? and if I did this manually I would be shifting between
sheets and copying and pasting so the automation has to alternate activation
of each sheet.
Oh well lost now.
Can it and has it been done and if so how?
--
Regards
Bill