Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Open Access from Excel

I currently have code in Excel VBA that pulls data from Access in my Excel
worksheet. However, it runs about 10 times faster if Access is already open.
And (I'm not sure of this), I think it helps if an Access query is open and
in design view.

Can I have the code to:
1. Open Access database XXXX.mdb, if it is not already open
2. Open the query YYYY in design view
3. Ensure that the Excel worksheet is still active

Hope this isn't a big ask - thanks very much in advance

regards
Daniel Bonallack
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Daniel,
How are you pulling the data into excel ?

NickHK

"Daniel Bonallack" wrote in
message ...
I currently have code in Excel VBA that pulls data from Access in my Excel
worksheet. However, it runs about 10 times faster if Access is already

open.
And (I'm not sure of this), I think it helps if an Access query is open

and
in design view.

Can I have the code to:
1. Open Access database XXXX.mdb, if it is not already open
2. Open the query YYYY in design view
3. Ensure that the Excel worksheet is still active

Hope this isn't a big ask - thanks very much in advance

regards
Daniel Bonallack

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Nick

Thanks for responding. I'm using VBA code in Excel to run an SQL query on
the closed Access database, and import the data into Excel.

Do you need me to be more specific? I can copy in the code if you want, but
it's quite long.

Daniel

"NickHK" wrote:

Daniel,
How are you pulling the data into excel ?

NickHK

"Daniel Bonallack" wrote in
message ...
I currently have code in Excel VBA that pulls data from Access in my Excel
worksheet. However, it runs about 10 times faster if Access is already

open.
And (I'm not sure of this), I think it helps if an Access query is open

and
in design view.

Can I have the code to:
1. Open Access database XXXX.mdb, if it is not already open
2. Open the query YYYY in design view
3. Ensure that the Excel worksheet is still active

Hope this isn't a big ask - thanks very much in advance

regards
Daniel Bonallack

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Daniel,
You using VBA with ADO recordset or Excel's DataGet External data
functionality.
Just post the opening code.

NickHK

"Daniel Bonallack" wrote in
message ...

"NickHK" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I guess this would be the basic code.
So I want to check that Access is open, and preferably have a query open in
design view
Thanks!

Sub GetBaseData()

Dim DBFullName As String
Dim Cnct As String, Src As String
Dim Connection As ADODB.Connection
Dim Recordset As ADODB.Recordset

DBFullName = "xxx.mdb"

' Open the connection
Set Connection = New ADODB.Connection
Cnct = "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0; "
Cnct = Cnct & "Data Source=" & DBFullName & ";"
Connection.Open ConnectionString:=Cnct

With Recordset
Src = "daniel's sql query code"
.Open Source:=Src, ActiveConnection:=Connection

Sheets("data").Select

' Write the field names
For Col = 0 To Recordset.Fields.Count - 1
Range("A1").Offset(0, Col).Value = Recordset.Fields(Col).Name
Next

' Write the recordset
Range("A1").Offset(1, 0).CopyFromRecordset Recordset
End With

Set Recordset = Nothing
Connection.Close
Set Connection = Nothing

End Sub

"NickHK" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Daniel,
I see no reason why you would need to open Access; you are using Jet/OLEDB
to query the .mdb, so Access is irrelevant.
The source of the apparent delay lies elsewhere.

NickHK

"Daniel Bonallack" wrote in
message ...

"NickHK" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

OK, thanks. I posted a "what's causing the delay" question to the forum a
while back, but didn't get an answer. Simply put, if I have Access open, the
data extracts faster. If Access is closed, it still works, but instead of 8
seconds, it can be closer to 90 seconds.

If you have any ideas, I'd love to hear them. And if you know of simple
code to open Access anyway, I'd still like to learn it, even if that isn't my
problem here.

"NickHK" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Daniel,
This should get you started:
http://www.access-programmers.co.uk/...29ea& t=27242

NickHK

"Daniel Bonallack" wrote in
message ...

"NickHK" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Nick

Thanks very much. Looking at some of the other posts today, I notice that
you try to find out what someone is trying to achieve, rather than just
giving them an answer. That's really helpful - I often think I know what I'm
doing, but then it turns out I'm approaching the problem the wrong way.

Thanks again for your help today.

regards
Daniel

"NickHK" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Daniel,
My work is kind of slow at the moment, so I have more time to contribute.
There's normally many ways to perform similar actions, so if you know the
ultimate goal, it make the choice of methods more rational.
For example the recent poster who insists on running code in edit mode. As
we have no idea what he is trying to achieve, it is not possible to offer
alternatives apart from "No can do".