Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Conditional formatting for text to number

I am needing some help with the best way to quatify text.
Here is what I have. I am wanting to be able to a chart that will count how
many of each town. Rather than manually counting how many of each, I would
like to have it programed to do that for me

Name Town
Bill Breese
John Chicago
Tony Breese

I would like to have it count each different town and place that number in a
different cell to total.

Thanks in advanced

Jason
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Set the following formula in cells, using each different Town in each one.
This will give numbers for each town. You can then build your chart from
those cell values.

I am assuming the Name is one column and the Town is another.

=COUNTIF(B2:B100,"Breese")
--
Best wishes,

Jim

"Jason" wrote:

I am needing some help with the best way to quatify text.
Here is what I have. I am wanting to be able to a chart that will count how
many of each town. Rather than manually counting how many of each, I would
like to have it programed to do that for me

Name Town
Bill Breese
John Chicago
Tony Breese

I would like to have it count each different town and place that number in a
different cell to total.

Thanks in advanced

Jason

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

See below for what you need to use:

From the help file:

COUNTA

Counts the number of cells that are not empty and the values within the list
of arguments. Use COUNTA to count the number of cells that contain data in a
range or array.

Syntax

COUNTA(value1,value2,...)

Value1, value2, ... are 1 to 30 arguments representing the values you want
to count.

"Jason" wrote:

I am needing some help with the best way to quatify text.
Here is what I have. I am wanting to be able to a chart that will count how
many of each town. Rather than manually counting how many of each, I would
like to have it programed to do that for me

Name Town
Bill Breese
John Chicago
Tony Breese

I would like to have it count each different town and place that number in a
different cell to total.

Thanks in advanced

Jason

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Jason,

How is the things going?
Did you have any finding after you perform the testing?

If you have any questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to let me
know. I look forward to hearing from you, and I am happy to be of
assistance.

Best regards,

Peter Huang

Microsoft Online Community Support