Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Excel Freezes When moving from UserFrom to Excel Spreadsheet

I was wondering if anyone else ever runs into this problem, and if so
what causes it, and how to fix it.

When I am in the Microsoft Visual Basic Window, there is one form that
causes excel to freeze (excel.exe resource shoot to 99%), forcing me to

shut down excel manually, and lose any changes. This only occurs if I
have that form visible and I toggle from the form back to the
spreadsheet. There are no problems/errors running the user form. It
occurs only when I am working in the VB Window and toggle back to the
Excel spreadsheet window.

It does not occur with any other UserForm, or when the code is showing.

Only when I'm on this particular userform.

Since there is no code running, I don't understand what causes this.
Is somethign compiling in the background everytime I switch back to
Excel? I've done some research, I've done the help / detect and repair

thing. I don't get any error messages, and no errors are present in
the code.

Any input is greatly appreciated as I keep losing work...

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

When I try that the first thing I get is an error message that says
this action will reset your project, and then I get an unexpected Excel
error that shuts Excel down. It's almost as if something is running to
begin with, that is getting interupted.

I then re-opened the worksheet, but this time disabled the macros. I
then ran CodeCleaner again, and it worked (And also decreased my file
size by almost 300k, so thanks!)...

But the problem still remains. Its almost like something is running in
the background, just by opening up the spreadsheet. But I have no idea
what, and if I hit the break or stop button nothing happens. It seems
to get hung up when I toggle from just that UserForm.

RB Smissaert wrote:
Try running the free VBA CodeCleaner that you can download from:
http://www.appspro.com/Utilities/CodeCleaner.htm

RBS

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Is there any code in Worbbook_Open?
Or any code in Worksheet_Activate?

RBS

oups.com...

RB Smissaert wrote:
Try running the free VBA CodeCleaner that you can download from:
http://www.appspro.com/Utilities/CodeCleaner.htm

RBS

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Does that userform have a RefEdit control on it ?

NickHK

oups.com...

RB Smissaert wrote:
Try running the free VBA CodeCleaner that you can download from:
http://www.appspro.com/Utilities/CodeCleaner.htm

RBS

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Yes, Workbook_Open calls multiple programs that Check user authority,
add menus, and hide/protect worksheets. However, when I run
Workbook_Open on its own, there are no errors / loops. It works fine.

The strange part is that I was trying to track down which piece of code
was causing this. So following your line of thinking, any code
connected to the "InterviewWiz" - the userform causing me problems - I
commented out. Once I did that the problem disappeared. HOWEVER, I
uncommented each section of code and retested, until all the code was
uncommented, and the problem never came back. I thought I had it
solved, so I closed it, and reopened it to retest, and the problem was
back.

I just went through the exact same process with Workbook_Open per your
suggestion, with the same results. I commented out all Workbook_Open
code, and then Uncommented 1 line at a time. Uncommented all code, it
still worked, and then when I returned, the problem resurfaced.

I understand your line of thinking, however, my question is if it was a
problem with the Workbook_Open or Worksheet_Activate, shouldn't the
problem take place with every userform I have? Or everytime I toggle
back to the Workbook? This isn't the case, this only occurs withone
specific userform, and only in "development" mode. No problems at all
when running any of the programs.

Thanks for you inputs, any ideas would be appreciated.

Erik

RB Smissaert wrote:
Is there any code in Worbbook_Open?
Or any code in Worksheet_Activate?

RBS

oups.com...

RB Smissaert wrote:
Try running the free VBA CodeCleaner that you can download from:
http://www.appspro.com/Utilities/CodeCleaner.htm

RBS

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

No, no RefEdit controls, MultiPage form that uses ComboBoxes; Labels;
TextBoxes is all.

I guess my question is what programs can be kicked off when I toggle
from one form to Excel? Is there a way to check this? I could
understand Worksheet_Activate or Workbook_Activate, but then I would
expect this to hang anytime they receive focus, not only from a single
form.

NickHK wrote:
Does that userform have a RefEdit control on it ?

NickHK

oups.com...

RB Smissaert wrote:
Try running the free VBA CodeCleaner that you can download from:
http://www.appspro.com/Utilities/CodeCleaner.htm

RBS

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Could you post all the code that is in Workbook_Open?
Are you sure that all the code in Workbook_Open has finished when
move from that form (in the VBE) to the sheet?
Put Stop directly after Workbook_Open(), compile and save, close Excel,
re-start Excel, open the wb, step through the code with F8, go to the form
in the VBE and go to the sheet and see what happens.

I agree it seems a strange one.

RBS

ups.com...

RB Smissaert wrote:
Is there any code in Worbbook_Open?
Or any code in Worksheet_Activate?

RBS

oups.com...

RB Smissaert wrote:
Try running the free VBA CodeCleaner that you can download from:
http://www.appspro.com/Utilities/CodeCleaner.htm

RBS

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

To make matters worse, it now seems to be working sometimes and not
working others. I just toggled back and forth about 15 times, no
problem. I saved it, let the program sit for a while, and then did it
again, and again it went into "Not Responsding" mode. Forcing me to
close down. Very frustrating.

If it is something in the code...shouldn't it be erroring out or
looping when the code is actually run? I'm getting no errors when I
operate from the worksheet side...In tools options I turned on Break on
All errors, and still nothing.