Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default XLA File Size Decrease

All,

I am currently using Excel XP (SP3) and created a complex Add-In, which I
passed along to another programmer. The other programmer opened the Add-In
and made a very minor VBA code change and then saved the XLA. The file size
of the XLA shrunk from 6MB to 4MB. He is also using Excel XP (SP3). I ran
a Sourcesafe compare on the code modules and they are all identical (with
the exception of the two lines he changed). There are a few hidden
worksheets, that are also unchanged. Does anyone have any idea what would
cause such a huge change in file size?

Thanks,
Mark D'Agosta

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Mark,

probably he did not compile the code.

BTW you should be using Rob Bovey's Code Cleaner (if you arent already)
http://www.Appspro.com

Charles
______________________
Decision Models
FastExcel 2.2 Beta now available
www.DecisionModels.com

"Mark Dev" wrote in message
All,

I am currently using Excel XP (SP3) and created a complex Add-In, which I
passed along to another programmer. The other programmer opened the
Add-In and made a very minor VBA code change and then saved the XLA. The
file size of the XLA shrunk from 6MB to 4MB. He is also using Excel XP
(SP3). I ran a Sourcesafe compare on the code modules and they are all
identical (with the exception of the two lines he changed). There are a
few hidden worksheets, that are also unchanged. Does anyone have any idea
what would cause such a huge change in file size?

Thanks,
Mark D'Agosta

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Charles,

Thanks for you reply. Yes, that appears to be the case. He did not compile
the code, as I always do. I'm unable to locate anything in Microsoft
Support that explains exactly what happens during this Compile process that
makes the files so much larger (other than a brief explanation of how it
does syntax checking, which is the main reason I compile). Do you know
where I can get more details on the Compile process?

The compiled Add-In does not show any noticeable performance improvement, so
I'm wondering what takes place to cause such a huge increase in file size
(4MB to 6MB).

Thanks again,
Mark

"Mark Dev" wrote in message
All,

I am currently using Excel XP (SP3) and created a complex Add-In, which I
passed along to another programmer. The other programmer opened the
Add-In and made a very minor VBA code change and then saved the XLA. The
file size of the XLA shrunk from 6MB to 4MB. He is also using Excel XP
(SP3). I ran a Sourcesafe compare on the code modules and they are all
identical (with the exception of the two lines he changed). There are a
few hidden worksheets, that are also unchanged. Does anyone have any
idea what would cause such a huge change in file size?

Thanks,
Mark D'Agosta

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Mark,

You can read a detailed discussion of VBA code compilation he

http://orlando.mvps.org/VBADecompile...IdC=OrlMoreWin

Scroll down below the download link.

--
Rob Bovey, Excel MVP
Application Professionals

* Take your Excel development skills to the next level.
* Professional Excel Development
http://www.appspro.com/Books/Books.htm

"Mark Dev" wrote in message
All,

I am currently using Excel XP (SP3) and created a complex Add-In, which
I passed along to another programmer. The other programmer opened the
Add-In and made a very minor VBA code change and then saved the XLA.
The file size of the XLA shrunk from 6MB to 4MB. He is also using Excel
XP (SP3). I ran a Sourcesafe compare on the code modules and they are
all identical (with the exception of the two lines he changed). There
are a few hidden worksheets, that are also unchanged. Does anyone have
any idea what would cause such a huge change in file size?

Thanks,
Mark D'Agosta

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Mark,

VBA Code is never stored as the plain text you see in the editor.
It is stored as platform/version independent byte-codes, call
OpCodes. These codes are converted to text as you edit the
module. When you compile VBA code, the OpCodes are translated to
platform/version dependent instructions called ExCodes. These
ExCodes are read by the VBA runtime library to carry out the
actions of the code. The reason that a compiled project is larger
is due to the presence of ExCodes.

--
Cordially,
Chip Pearson