Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Mass Creation of Named Ranges?

Hey all,

I am trying to setup of a worksheet that has ranges A:F as a named
ranged using the name "DB1_#" (# = Cells 1 - 65535), I have noticed
that when I try to create a mass quantity of named ranges Excel craps
out on me at around 65407...anyone have any idea as to why this is or
if there is a macro I could run to create a worksheet with 65535 named
ranges using that setup? See example below if your confused...

ROW 1: DB1_1 (Ranges A:F)
ROW 2: DB1_2 (Ranges A:F)
ROW 3: DB1_3 (Ranges A:F)
ROW 4: DB1_4 (Ranges A:F)

ROW 65536: DB1_65536 (Ranges A:F)

Thank you kindly!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

responded in excel.misc

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

wrote in message
ps.com...
Hey all,

I am trying to setup of a worksheet that has ranges A:F as a named
ranged using the name "DB1_#" (# = Cells 1 - 65535), I have noticed
that when I try to create a mass quantity of named ranges Excel craps
out on me at around 65407...anyone have any idea as to why this is or
if there is a macro I could run to create a worksheet with 65535 named
ranges using that setup? See example below if your confused...

ROW 1: DB1_1 (Ranges A:F)
ROW 2: DB1_2 (Ranges A:F)
ROW 3: DB1_3 (Ranges A:F)
ROW 4: DB1_4 (Ranges A:F)

ROW 65536: DB1_65536 (Ranges A:F)

Thank you kindly!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

You asked me a question...you didn't respond to my question though...

Bob Phillips wrote:
responded in excel.misc

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

wrote in message
ps.com...
Hey all,

I am trying to setup of a worksheet that has ranges A:F as a named
ranged using the name "DB1_#" (# = Cells 1 - 65535), I have noticed
that when I try to create a mass quantity of named ranges Excel craps
out on me at around 65407...anyone have any idea as to why this is or
if there is a macro I could run to create a worksheet with 65535 named
ranges using that setup? See example below if your confused...

ROW 1: DB1_1 (Ranges A:F)
ROW 2: DB1_2 (Ranges A:F)
ROW 3: DB1_3 (Ranges A:F)
ROW 4: DB1_4 (Ranges A:F)

ROW 65536: DB1_65536 (Ranges A:F)

Thank you kindly!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

The number of names in a workbook is "limited by available memory". Either
that is the reason for your problem or whatever code you are using to create
names is eventually trying to create an invalid name.

That aside your approach will lead you to other problems.

Regards,
Peter T

wrote in message
ps.com...
Hey all,

I am trying to setup of a worksheet that has ranges A:F as a named
ranged using the name "DB1_#" (# = Cells 1 - 65535), I have noticed
that when I try to create a mass quantity of named ranges Excel craps
out on me at around 65407...anyone have any idea as to why this is or
if there is a macro I could run to create a worksheet with 65535 named
ranges using that setup? See example below if your confused...

ROW 1: DB1_1 (Ranges A:F)
ROW 2: DB1_2 (Ranges A:F)
ROW 3: DB1_3 (Ranges A:F)
ROW 4: DB1_4 (Ranges A:F)

ROW 65536: DB1_65536 (Ranges A:F)

Thank you kindly!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

If Excel can get to 65,407 rows with names then it sure as hell can
finish the last 100 or so...I don't think this is an issue with my
memory for I have 1 gig of it in my computer. If there is someone with
enough intelligence to give me a script to insert to pull the names and
jump to the next line I would be most appreciative...

wrote in message
ps.com...
Hey all,

I am trying to setup of a worksheet that has ranges A:F as a named
ranged using the name "DB1_#" (# = Cells 1 - 65535), I have noticed
that when I try to create a mass quantity of named ranges Excel craps
out on me at around 65407...anyone have any idea as to why this is or
if there is a macro I could run to create a worksheet with 65535 named
ranges using that setup? See example below if your confused...

ROW 1: DB1_1 (Ranges A:F)
ROW 2: DB1_2 (Ranges A:F)
ROW 3: DB1_3 (Ranges A:F)
ROW 4: DB1_4 (Ranges A:F)

ROW 65536: DB1_65536 (Ranges A:F)

Thank you kindly!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Someone want to give me some suggestions instead of questioning my
method? Maybe I should have explained what it is I am trying to do...

I am designing a program that will do the following...

1.) Allow someone to enter information in to a user form (already
created)
2.) The ability to add information to a database (worksheet)
3.) The ability to edit information from the database (worksheet)
4.) The ability to delete information from the database (worksheet)

Using names allows for my macros to pin point specific information and
pull the information and allow for it to edited and resubmitted to the
same area it came from...I don't understand why this is so confusing
for people...I guess not many people have attempted to write full blown
programs like this before in Excel?

-Cheers-

keepITcool wrote:
what's the use of 65000 names?
looks like of lot of overhead to me.

--
keepITcool

wrote in
groups.com

You asked me a question...you didn't respond to my question though...

Bob Phillips wrote:
responded in excel.misc

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

wrote in message
ps.com...
Hey all,

I am trying to setup of a worksheet that has ranges A:F as a named
ranged using the name "DB1_#" (# = Cells 1 - 65535), I have
noticed that when I try to create a mass quantity of named ranges
Excel craps out on me at around 65407...anyone have any idea as
to why this is or if there is a macro I could run to create a
worksheet with 65535 named ranges using that setup? See example
below if your confused...

ROW 1: DB1_1 (Ranges A:F)
ROW 2: DB1_2 (Ranges A:F)
ROW 3: DB1_3 (Ranges A:F)
ROW 4: DB1_4 (Ranges A:F)

ROW 65536: DB1_65536 (Ranges A:F)

Thank you kindly!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Never underestimate "the People" :)

I would not use Names for every record in a database.
Using names will give you (and Excel) way!!! too much overhead.

The Names collection just isn't fast/good enough with 10000+ members.
Also I've seen plenty of corrupted workbooks where NAME objects were
the cause.

I'd create a "primaryKey" column in the database and fill that
with a unique (non editable) number for "pinpointing".

--
keepITcool

wrote in
oups.com

Using names allows for my macros to pin point specific information and
pull the information and allow for it to edited and resubmitted to the
same area it came from...I don't understand why this is so confusing
for people...I guess not many people have attempted to write full
blown programs like this before in Excel?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Shaka,

Have you considered using Excel's DataForm?

Alternatively,For a more sophisticated alternative to the DataForm, see John
Walkenbach's Enhanced DataForm, which may be downloaded, free of charge, at:

http://j-walk.com/ss/dataform/index.htm

Additionally, for a small charge, you can also obtain the source code.

---
Regards,
Norman

ps.com...

keepITcool wrote:
what's the use of 65000 names?
looks like of lot of overhead to me.

--
keepITcool

wrote in
groups.com

You asked me a question...you didn't respond to my question though...

Bob Phillips wrote:
responded in excel.misc

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

wrote in message
ps.com...
Hey all,

I am trying to setup of a worksheet that has ranges A:F as a named
ranged using the name "DB1_#" (# = Cells 1 - 65535), I have
noticed that when I try to create a mass quantity of named ranges
Excel craps out on me at around 65407...anyone have any idea as
to why this is or if there is a macro I could run to create a
worksheet with 65535 named ranges using that setup? See example
below if your confused...

ROW 1: DB1_1 (Ranges A:F)
ROW 2: DB1_2 (Ranges A:F)
ROW 3: DB1_3 (Ranges A:F)
ROW 4: DB1_4 (Ranges A:F)

ROW 65536: DB1_65536 (Ranges A:F)

Thank you kindly!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Am I the only one who uses their own stuff when making applications for
businesses? This guy "j-walk.com" has a interesting plug-in however,
its limited to what I need it to do...The user form works fine with
editing records, deleting information from it before its submitted, and
eventually being able to submit it to a database. I suppose I could
have used Range(ActiveCell.Value).Select to go to a location, however,
this application I am designing is not being used by the "elite
computer users"....using names will allow for easier pull,
manipulation, and storage methods for the data...its pretty self
explanitory however I am finding using the boards to not be very
helpful this time...no one has posted an answer that would work so I
think I am stuck using 300,000 names with in 5 diffrent worksheets.

Norman Jones wrote:
Hi Shaka,

Have you considered using Excel's DataForm?

Alternatively,For a more sophisticated alternative to the DataForm, see John
Walkenbach's Enhanced DataForm, which may be downloaded, free of charge, at:

http://j-walk.com/ss/dataform/index.htm

Additionally, for a small charge, you can also obtain the source code.

---
Regards,
Norman

ps.com...

keepITcool wrote:
what's the use of 65000 names?
looks like of lot of overhead to me.

--
keepITcool

wrote in
groups.com

You asked me a question...you didn't respond to my question though...

Bob Phillips wrote:
responded in excel.misc

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

wrote in message
ps.com...
Hey all,

I am trying to setup of a worksheet that has ranges A:F as a named
ranged using the name "DB1_#" (# = Cells 1 - 65535), I have
noticed that when I try to create a mass quantity of named ranges
Excel craps out on me at around 65407...anyone have any idea as
to why this is or if there is a macro I could run to create a
worksheet with 65535 named ranges using that setup? See example
below if your confused...

ROW 1: DB1_1 (Ranges A:F)
ROW 2: DB1_2 (Ranges A:F)
ROW 3: DB1_3 (Ranges A:F)
ROW 4: DB1_4 (Ranges A:F)

ROW 65536: DB1_65536 (Ranges A:F)

Thank you kindly!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Why not just put whatever you're using as the range name into a column and use .Find() to locate the row?
--
Tim Williams
Palo Alto, CA

keepITcool wrote:
[...]