Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Path/file access error

If the file sits there without being accessed for a while, it gives a message
of "Path/file access error" in vbe. After I click "OK" several times (because
the message keeps pumping up), another message appears, "An unexpected error
occurred. AutoRecover has been disabled for this session of Excel." I click
"OK" and the message is gone. But when I try to save the file, it says,
"Document not saved." So, I have to close the file without saving, then it
sends a typical error message, "Microsoft Office Excel has encountered a
problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience." and I have
to choose "Send Error Report" or "Don't Send".

Anyone knows the reasons and how to fix it?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I believe it is related to the vba of this file (or workbook) because the
error happens only to this particular file which has extensive vba codes. No
such problem for any other Excel files.

Thanks.

"Scott" wrote in message ...
If the file sits there without being accessed for a while, it gives a message
of "Path/file access error" in vbe. After I click "OK" several times (because
the message keeps pumping up), another message appears, "An unexpected error
occurred. AutoRecover has been disabled for this session of Excel." I click
"OK" and the message is gone. But when I try to save the file, it says,
"Document not saved." So, I have to close the file without saving, then it
sends a typical error message, "Microsoft Office Excel has encountered a
problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience." and I have
to choose "Send Error Report" or "Don't Send".

Anyone knows the reasons and how to fix it?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

G'day there Scott,

[This followup was posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming and a
copy was sent to the cited author.]

In article ,
says...

the message keeps pumping up), another message appears, "An unexpected error
occurred. AutoRecover has been disabled for this session of Excel." I click
"OK" and the message is gone. But when I try to save the file, it says,
"Document not saved." So, I have to close the file without saving, then it
sends a typical error message, "Microsoft Office Excel has encountered a
problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience." and I have
to choose "Send Error Report" or "Don't Send".

Anyone knows the reasons and how to fix it?

I don't know whether or not you've solved your problem, and I
apologise for the late response, but I've had similar issues with that
error message and found that my problems disappeared if I opened the
file with macros disabled, opened the VBE and simply compiled the code
without running any macros. I then saved the file, shut down excel adn
then proceeded again as normal. That little procedure has saved my rear
end about half a dozen times so far =).

I know it's caused by something in the code I wrote, but I've no
idea what. Once or twice I've found snippets of code that generated it
and removed them, but I didn't bother to take note of them at the time.
Still, if that helps then all is well.

See ya
Ken McLennan
Qld, Australia

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Ken,

Thanks for your attention.

I tried as what you said and let the file sitting there for the whole night.
The file still gave the same error message this morning. However, instead
of pumping up over 10 of them (I had to keep clicking "OK") as what happened
before, I only got two. So, it works in someway though there are still some
problems. My program has 20 spreadsheets, and a MultiPage Control on the
form. I found that the error has nothing to do with VBA codes but a lot to
do with the number of spreadsheets and pages. To test it, I deleted all
codes, but the error was still there. The number of the same error messages
actually decreases as more sheets or pages were deleted. (It doesn't matter
what sheets or pages were deleted). It completely disappeared when only two
sheets and two pages were left. Is it strange?

Well, I appreciate your help.

Scott