Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Path/File Access Error

I have a excel template with forms, lot of data and lot of coding too....All works fine usually. But sometimes if the workbook is open for long time and not used...it gives the error Path/File Access error and doesn't let save anything. I have to close the file (Loosing my unsaved work) and restart it. After restaring it works fine again.

I tried looking into my code....compiling it...but found nothing.

Anyone having any idea what it could be and what could be the solution ..

Suggestions will be appreciated

Thanks
Ajit
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

1. What version of Excel, service packs, etc. are installed?
2. Is your current directory a network share somewhere or your local
computers hard drive? (Maybe network communication is being lost
intermittently or something.)

I generally fill in data in a template, then save it right away. If more
data will be added later - then add it when the time comes and save it
again. Develop the habit of always saving right after making any changes or
entering data if you are going to be idle for a period of time. Most Excel
VBA programmers have learned this lesson the hard way after editing code and
attempting to run it quick without saving it first.
Bill

"Ajit" wrote in message
I have a excel template with forms, lot of data and lot of coding

too....All works fine usually. But sometimes if the workbook is open for
long time and not used...it gives the error Path/File Access error and
doesn't let save anything. I have to close the file (Loosing my unsaved
work) and restart it. After restaring it works fine again.

I tried looking into my code....compiling it...but found nothing.

Anyone having any idea what it could be and what could be the solution ...

Suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Ajit

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thanks Bill for you reply. I have Excel 2002 installed on my system. The error is coming on a stand alone.
You are exactly right to make it a habbit of saving immediately, and i have been doing so too. But i will soon be starting to distribute this template to non technical people for usage....and i fear if the same error comes on their machines.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Is your code busy running and doing something while you are idle for a long
time? Usually, I put only UDFs (user-defined functions) and event handlers
in the template that are required to calculate any cell values. All other
command macro type of code (to load data into the template, select groups of
sheets to print, etc.) is put in a separate workbook and made into an add-in
so it is not copied with each data workbook saved from the template.
Bill