Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default How do I add a 0 and 2 dashes to a truncated soc. sec.# in a cell

I have a spreadsheet that has social security numbers (SSN) in a column. The
numbers are missing the leading zeros and the two dashes for the SSN format
(i.e. the number is XXXXXXXX instead of 0XX-XX-XXXX. If you look in the cell,
the you see only 8 numbers, but when you format you of course see the SSN
format...000-00-0000. I need to add the leading zero and then the two dashes
(this because I am transferring the numbers to another software package).

My data set is large..manual entry will take forever.

Any ideas are welcome.