Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Comments in CSV

Hi

I am creating a CSV (comma seperated) file from a database so users can
import in excel etc. Basically the file contains rows of data. I want
to add a header/comment to the file (Preferably formatted html) to
maybe have information such as selected fields user date etc for the
data. Is there any way to comment stuff out in csv so that wen
importing excel doesnt treat it as import data (looking for column
delimiters etc)

thanks
:)

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

A .csv file is just a plain text file. If you put stuff in that file, excel
will find it.

But you could use some sort of macro to import the file and clean up the stuff
that doesn't belong. But then you'll have to distribute that workbook with the
macro and train the users how to import the .csv file using that macro.

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

You could format your data as html instead and give it a xls extension.
Excel should open it OK and it allows you to add some formatting.

--
Tim Williams
Palo Alto, CA