Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default data import question

I am trying to import data from an excel file into another excel file. The
data contains "+" and "0" values.

see sample of pre import data.
1 7011 4/14/2006 A2993 + + 0 +
2 7011 4/14/2006 B4253 + + 0 0
3 7011 4/14/2006 C3505 + 0 + +
4 7011 4/14/2006 D765 + 0 + 0

it imports as the following:
1 7011 4/14/2006 A2993
2 7011 4/14/2006 B4253 0
3 7011 4/14/2006 C3505 0 +
4 7011 4/14/2006 D765 0 + 0

why does the import delete the "0" in one column and the + in the other
column and not allow both to be imported as the original file?????
--
dr chuck
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Chuck,

I had similar, but different results. The columns that has both + and 0 did
not import the +, yet the column of all + did import. I tried replacing the +
with text and the 0's didn't import.

I think the import function sees the data in a column as text, symbol, or
number. So it doesn't import text if it's already importing numbers. This
is definately one for the MicroSoft folks to explain.

Mike

"dr chuck" wrote:

I am trying to import data from an excel file into another excel file. The
data contains "+" and "0" values.

see sample of pre import data.
1 7011 4/14/2006 A2993 + + 0 +
2 7011 4/14/2006 B4253 + + 0 0
3 7011 4/14/2006 C3505 + 0 + +
4 7011 4/14/2006 D765 + 0 + 0

it imports as the following:
1 7011 4/14/2006 A2993
2 7011 4/14/2006 B4253 0
3 7011 4/14/2006 C3505 0 +
4 7011 4/14/2006 D765 0 + 0

why does the import delete the "0" in one column and the + in the other
column and not allow both to be imported as the original file?????
--
dr chuck

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

thanks mike.. your observation has lead to resolution to my problem. I am
going to change my data from "0" to "O" before import then change it back
afterwards in a macro..
--
dr chuck