Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default VBA replaced ?

I've heard that Microsoft plans to replace VBA with another language (built
into their apps.) Something more closely related to Visual Studio.

What will this mean for those of us studying VBA. Will it be similar, or
starting from scratch.

I'm not real clear on any of this. I am eager to advance in my programming
skills. I am not so interested in developing stand alone applications. I
want to become a solutions solver for those already using standard Microsoft
Office applications. What do you all recommend for someone in my position.
I want to learn to access sql databases, etc.

Does this sound like a sound career approach. I am a 9-5 (more like 5-9)
paycheck to paycheck guy, so I am on my own to learn. I rely on books and
newsgroups etc. (no time for college, or money for night school.) I am
prepared to pay for Microsoft Certs when I have the skills to pass.

Thanks in advance to any one who feels like being a free consultant.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I am sure that MS would like to move down this route, but VBA will be around
for a long time yet. The legacy of applications out there means that MS
realise that they have to support it for some time yet. They are not
committed to developing it further (big shame!), that effort will go into
other products, but you can develop those skills confidently, but keep an
eye on other developments and look to move at the appropriate time.

--
HTH

Bob Phillips