Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default is a variant an object

does when assigning a variant need a set statement?

THanks
James

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Only when you are setting it to an object, examples:

Dim v As Variant
v = 1.234 'Floating point number
v = "Hello" 'string
Set v = Range("a1") 'object

"James Cornthwaite" wrote:

does when assigning a variant need a set statement?

THanks
James

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

A variant is anything it wants to be. It can be an object (requiring the set
statement), or it can be a regular variable (not requiring the set satement)
as pointed out by Charlie... That being said try not to use varaints as much
as possible. They are very inefficient, because everytime that you try to
access a variant, the system must first try to determine exactly what it
is... This is a relatively slow process...
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

"James Cornthwaite" wrote:

does when assigning a variant need a set statement?

THanks
James

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

That's true.

I have a love-hate relationship with Variants. I was leary of using them at
first -- I didn't like the concept, nor the system overhead, but they sure
make programming easy. And I can make more versatile functions using them as
args.

"James Cornthwaite" wrote:

does when assigning a variant need a set statement?

THanks
James

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I find that if I declare my object variables as specific objects:

Dim wks as worksheet
instead of
dim wks as variant

Then I get the added benefit of the VBE's autocomplete.

I type: wks. (with that dot) and then the VBE pops up all options that I can
choose from.

I find specific declarations make program easy, er, less difficult <bg.

"James Cornthwaite" wrote:

does when assigning a variant need a set statement?

THanks
James

--

Dave Peterson

Variant/Double?!? PeterArvidsson Excel Programming 6 May 31st 06 04:50 PM
Variant owl527[_5_] Excel Programming 2 October 14th 05 09:37 PM
ReDim Object array as parameter of Variant array Peter T Excel Programming 4 May 10th 05 02:11 PM
IsArray on Variant/Object/Range returns true?? QuantDev Excel Programming 10 July 28th 04 02:51 PM
Argument can be a variant or an object onedaywhen Excel Programming 1 September 25th 03 04:20 PM