Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Dave Peterson Dave Peterson is offline

Default is a variant an object

I find that if I declare my object variables as specific objects:

Dim wks as worksheet
instead of
dim wks as variant

Then I get the added benefit of the VBE's autocomplete.

I type: wks. (with that dot) and then the VBE pops up all options that I can
choose from.

I find specific declarations make program easy, er, less difficult <bg.

Charlie wrote:

That's true.

I have a love-hate relationship with Variants. I was leary of using them at
first -- I didn't like the concept, nor the system overhead, but they sure
make programming easy. And I can make more versatile functions using them as
args.

"Jim Thomlinson" wrote:

A variant is anything it wants to be. It can be an object (requiring the set
statement), or it can be a regular variable (not requiring the set satement)
as pointed out by Charlie... That being said try not to use varaints as much
as possible. They are very inefficient, because everytime that you try to
access a variant, the system must first try to determine exactly what it
is... This is a relatively slow process...
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

"James Cornthwaite" wrote:

does when assigning a variant need a set statement?

THanks
James

--

Dave Peterson