Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Template - Save As File Name

In looking at all these helpful hints, I am doing something wrong with what
should be simple code. I have an Excel template and want the file to be saved
to a reference cell. When I click on Save, Close, Save as.. it defaults to
the name of the template. The associate can save the file wherever she/he
wants to. Need some assistance - thanks! Jani
Sub save_it()
Dim fname
With ActiveWorkbook
fname = .Worksheets("worksheet1").Range("b9").Value & ".xls"
..SaveAs fname
End With

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Wow - thanks for the quick reply!! So it works but not quite right. It saves
it but on the Desktop since that is where I put it and the associate might
want to place it elsewhere and the macro needs to run automatically when the
file is closed. Do you have further instructions for me?

Jani wrote:

In looking at all these helpful hints, I am doing something wrong with what
should be simple code. I have an Excel template and want the file to be saved
to a reference cell. When I click on Save, Close, Save as.. it defaults to
the name of the template. The associate can save the file wherever she/he
wants to. Need some assistance - thanks! Jani
Sub save_it()
Dim fname
With ActiveWorkbook
fname = .Worksheets("worksheet1").Range("b9").Value & ".xls"
.SaveAs fname
End With

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

You can specify the location in your code:
..SaveAs "C:\myfolder\myfolder\" & fname

But if you make this automatic when the file is closed, then won't it run each
time the file is closed? And what happens if the user wants to save to a
different location--or even close without saving????

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

You are so right. So what would be ideal in my world is if the macro would
automatically pick up the text in a cell and then the associate would be able
to browse to where the file should be saved. Is that possible?

Jani wrote:

In looking at all these helpful hints, I am doing something wrong with what
should be simple code. I have an Excel template and want the file to be saved
to a reference cell. When I click on Save, Close, Save as.. it defaults to
the name of the template. The associate can save the file wherever she/he
wants to. Need some assistance - thanks! Jani
Sub save_it()
Dim fname
With ActiveWorkbook
fname = .Worksheets("worksheet1").Range("b9").Value & ".xls"
.SaveAs fname
End With

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Jim Rech has a BrowseForFolder routine at:
http://www.oaltd.co.uk/MVP/Default.htm
(look for BrowseForFolder)

John Walkenbach has one at:

If you and all your users are running xl2002+, take a look at VBA's help for:
application.filedialog(msoFileDialogFolderPicker)