Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Macros in Toolbar

Hello,

My question would be:

I did a macro command button in my toolbar in my computer. When I
opened it using another computer, I could not see it. The macro is
still there, but the command button is not. Can I 'save' a macro
command button so that it appears at any computer I use?

Thanks.

--
warburger
warburger's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=32387

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

hi,
I think you are talking about an icon. command buttons are from the toolbox
and icon are from the customization box.
command buttons appear on the sheet and icons on the toolbar.
yeah, i know....get technical.
no, you can't save an icon so that it appears on any computer. you can a
button. but icons are part of customization and that is specific to a single
computer. you can write code to create the icon on any computer but not
recomended because you are messing with someone else's computer for your
convienence.

"warburger" wrote:

Hello,

My question would be:

I did a macro command button in my toolbar in my computer. When I
opened it using another computer, I could not see it. The macro is
still there, but the command button is not. Can I 'save' a macro
command button so that it appears at any computer I use?

Thanks.

--
warburger
warburger's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=32387
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=548397

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

In theory, you can create a custom toolbar and attach it to a spreadsheet.

Goto View, Toolbars, Customise, and use the Attach button.

I say in theory because it is not always reliable. For complex toolbars,
many of us will build the toolbar through code rather than relying on the
attachment. Still, give it a try and see if it works.

Robin Hammond
www.enhanceddatasystems.com

"warburger" wrote
in message ...

Hello,

My question would be:

I did a macro command button in my toolbar in my computer. When I
opened it using another computer, I could not see it. The macro is
still there, but the command button is not. Can I 'save' a macro
command button so that it appears at any computer I use?

Thanks.

--
warburger
warburger's Profile:
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=548397

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

"Robin Hammond" wrote in message
In theory, you can create a custom toolbar and attach it to a spreadsheet.

Goto View, Toolbars, Customise, and use the Attach button.

I say in theory because it is not always reliable. For complex toolbars,
many of us will build the toolbar through code rather than relying on the
attachment. Still, give it a try and see if it works.

Attaching seems to work as long as one uses the same version of excel stored
locally on your own C-drive. If one has stored the excel e.g. on some
database and then downloads the latest version of excel (even though the
custom commands have not changed), the commands in the custom toolbar do not
work anymore. It is easy to fix however, go to the "toolbar view" and delete
the custom tools from the toolbar, close the excel and open it again. Now
the tools are visible again and the commands work. I suppose this has to do
with the excel**.xlb file.

Is there any way I could automate the above procedure to recover the custom
toolbar? I would prefer not to use a macro for this because this means that
I cannot have the macro available in the custom made toolbar. Or is someone
aware of some other clever(er) way to recover the custom toolbar commands?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Another question:

I understand your point, which leads me to wonder...

Can I just create an installer for a specific macro so that when I open
the Excel file on another computer, I'll just install the macro button
and presto - it appears on the toolbar.

PS. I know I can do this manually via Tools, Customize, Command.....,
but is there a way to automize it?

--
warburger
warburger's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=32387
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=548397

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

"HK" wrote in message
[...]

Would it be possible to embed the xlb file in the excel somehow and make
Excel save the file in the appropriate directory?

HK

toolbar macros Ned Kelly Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 0 December 22nd 05 03:52 PM
Custom toolbar and macros MD Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 2 May 10th 05 05:31 PM
Toolbar macros TMAC Excel Programming 4 September 17th 04 09:00 PM
Toolbar with Macros Mark Excel Programming 1 February 2nd 04 11:04 AM
Toolbar with Macros bw Excel Programming 4 July 31st 03 01:12 AM