Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Is there a way to do this?

Hello--
I have a spreadsheet that has numerical values in one column, and then
I want to have a column next to it that shows the equivalent of each
value from the first column minus X%, where X is a value that I can
change from time to time. For instance, if the first column lists 100,
200, 400, 600, & 500, and I choose 5 to be the value of X, then the
second column will list 95, 190, 380, 570, & 475. If I change the
value of X to 9 (and don't change any of the values in the first
column), the second column will then list 91, 182, 364, 546, & 455.
Is there a function or a macro that can do this?

Thanks,
Stephen

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Assuming the X number is in D1, use

=A1*(100-$D$1)/100

--

HTH

Bob Phillips

"brawny_javo" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hello--
I have a spreadsheet that has numerical values in one column, and then
I want to have a column next to it that shows the equivalent of each
value from the first column minus X%, where X is a value that I can
change from time to time. For instance, if the first column lists 100,
200, 400, 600, & 500, and I choose 5 to be the value of X, then the
second column will list 95, 190, 380, 570, & 475. If I change the
value of X to 9 (and don't change any of the values in the first
column), the second column will then list 91, 182, 364, 546, & 455.
Is there a function or a macro that can do this?

Thanks,
Stephen

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Stephen

put the value you want to vary in cell C1.

Then, in cell B1, put: =A1*(100-$C$1)%

Drag down column B to the end of your data

Change the value in C1 to update the values in column B.

Regards

Trevor

"brawny_javo" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hello--
I have a spreadsheet that has numerical values in one column, and then
I want to have a column next to it that shows the equivalent of each
value from the first column minus X%, where X is a value that I can
change from time to time. For instance, if the first column lists 100,
200, 400, 600, & 500, and I choose 5 to be the value of X, then the
second column will list 95, 190, 380, 570, & 475. If I change the
value of X to 9 (and don't change any of the values in the first
column), the second column will then list 91, 182, 364, 546, & 455.
Is there a function or a macro that can do this?

Thanks,
Stephen

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Yes. Let's say your original numbers are in column A and we want the
adjusted numbers to appear in column B.

We will use cell C1 as a helper cell and put 5 in it.

In B1 enter:
=A1*(1-$C$1/100) and copy this formula down the column. You will see:

100 95
200 190
400 380
600 570
500 475

If you change the values in column A, the values in column B will also change.
If the change the value in C1, the values in column B will change.

You can even make C1 a negative value to get column B to increase.

Have a pleasant weekend !
--
Gary's Student