Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Optimatization project

Hello all,
I require assistance on paper I'm writing for a Masters thesis.
I've been told that the problem can be an MIP(?) or an Integer Linear
Programming problem.

I'm not a math major nor an excel whiz. I simply want solutions to the
scenarios to be incorporated in the paper.

Scenarios calls for optimization and revenue maximization. Used
computers, laptops, and monitors will be transported in either
20ft containers or 40ft containers.

1) 20ft container holds about 500 desktop PC's w/KB&mouse
40ft hi-cube container holds about 1100 desktop PC's w/Kb&mouse

2) 20ft container holds 264 17" monitors
192 19"/21" monitors.

40ft hi cube container holds 729 17" monitors
432 19/21" monitors

3. There is no quantity constraint on the number of laptops that can
included in the either containers. However, it is worth noting laptops
are more expensive related to the desktops and monitors and would
consequently skew your final cost structure.

Scenarios and solutions sought
4) A price target. In this scenario, a target price is set for either
containers, say $30,000, what would be the optimal product mix. There
are some points to consider in this scenario. One is that you can
either
have a ONE container product mix of the following: a. laptops,
monitors, and desktops; b. laptops and desktops OR a TWO container
product mix
of c. desktops/laptops and monitors/laptops; d. desktops and monitors
(if I have missed any combination please free to suggest)

Another point of consider is that Developing nations are not only
price sensitive but desire value for their money. Simply put, from a
consumer standpoint, you want to know you are getting more for your
money in
terms of a favorable distribution of lower end equipment, mid-tier
equipment, and higher end equipment. Distribution would be the selling
point because the selling point would be to show the consumer for X
dollars
you will be a product mix of X,Y,Z in either one container (20ft/40ft)
or two containers. Remember these consumers aspire to have high-end
equipment but are faced by budgetary constraints. If one can however
deliver value, you have now created an interesting opportunity within
the
that used computer market.

2)Profit maximization. This is now llooking at the model from a
sellers perspective. The fundamental question asked from this point of
view
is, what is the maximum profit that can be achieved per container.

Below are the prices of the equipment: P3 are desktops, P4 are
laptops, and monitors. The Exporter is the potential seller and prices
listed
underneath the exporter are the prices at which he/she can buy the
equipment. These are NOT the selling price for the Exporter but the
BUYING
price. USA, JAPAN, and the Exporter's competition. The prices listed
underneath each country are SELLING prices or the MARKET prices of the
equipment within each respective country. Please be forewarned that by
definition market prices are subject to change and are contingent on
applicable supply and demand forces.

The question is based on the prices which the Exporter has to buy the
equipment, what price should he/she expect to sell each unit and what
would be the profit maximazing point be.

Secondly, what price should he/she expect to sell unit, max profit
under the price target scenario.

If you are interested, please contact me so I may send you the excel
file with the information.

Thanking you for cooperation.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Under the office hierarchy

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\SAMPLES

on my machine, you should find a file

Solvsamp.xls

this gives some samples of setting up similar problems for solution by
solver.

check yours out.

Tom Ogilvy